Severe diarrhoea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeanettehaig

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I have type 2 diabetes, which I have had for just over a year. I have really struggled to get my head level down, I was changed from Metformin to sukkarto about 8 weeks ago, I have had severe diarrhoea ever since then, I spoke to my doctor who says that it shouldn't cause diarrhoea for this long. I then had a blood test done 2 weeks ago which I'm still awaiting the results as it seems they have lost my results. Should I be worried about the diarrhoea or do you think its just down to the sukkarto. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm just so fed up of feeling rubbish and it's so hard to even get through to my doctors surgery.

Some can't tolerate Metformin in any form, Sukkarto is a slow release Metformin.

Hi. Normally it's the plain version that causes trouble and not the SR version. Ask to be swapped back. Why did the GP make the change?

It can be the coating and/or binding agents in some of the Metformin medication which upsets people (lactose I believe is used in some) so if your body was happy with the previous version then ask to be prescribed that again. The different brands can have slightly different ingredients even though the main one is the Metformin. If the other brand suited your body, ask to be put back on it. No one should have to suffer severe diarrhoea for weeks because of medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back