Several hours after eating a very heavy meal blood sugar 8.1-84. mmol/l

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple_Panda

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone.

As the title suggests. Up to this point my blood sugars had been well controlled and regularly taking my medications (meformin, linogliptin and empagliflozin). Today I think I had a bit of a binge eat this evening had a really big portion of chicken tenders smothered in some kind of sauce (which probably had sugar in it), had some mushroom soup and some raspberries. Earlier in the day a lot of blueberries and also some soup and quorn cocktail sausages. It's been several hours now since I've eaten but my stomach still feels full. I tested my BG and it was 8.1 and 8.4 mmol/l on different fingers. I know technically under 9 post-meals after at least 2 hours is normal for T2 Diabetics but given for some time now it's been within range even after meals, I'm a little concerned. Could it simply be because the meal was very heavy and even still undigested after several hours? I just took my second dose of metformin for the day.

I don't know why recently I've been binging a lot on berries maybe desperate for something sweet and I hear berries were ok for diabetics but I kind of went overboard with them.

Any advice on the BG readings? Should I be overly worried ? Should I just from today restrict my calorie intake again and just watch what I'm eating and maybe cut back on the berries too?

Please help me. Thanks.

Reactions: Ljc
Don't look at the calories have a look at how many carbs you ate you might be suprised. As for berrys, they should be ok as lomg as you didn't eat a bucket load, I never eat Quorn products but per 100g is 10.03g of carbs, how many did you eat ?.

So I measured my BG about an hour or so ago it was 6.1. I did eat a fair few berries: two boxes of about 100 g blueberries and a box of raspberries, two boxes of the quorn cocktail sausages. I have also noticed i got a boil on my leg and armpit could be due to eating too much of the fruit at once. So I need to be a bit more careful again otherwise I will end up undoing all the progress I've made.

I would ease up on the cocktail sausages if I were you, I know it's not easy but try not to worry too much about the numbers, if they are up then just work out the carb content for that day you might be surprised how high the carbs are.

If my maths are correct two pack of cocktail sausages is around 38g of carbs

I would ease up on the cocktail sausages if I were you, I know it's not easy but try not to worry too much about the numbers, if they are up then just work out the carb content for that day you might be surprised how high the carbs are.

If my maths are correct two pack of cocktail sausages is around 38g of carbs
Yeah definitely and I think the berries too.

I think we all know what went wrong here🙂

At least you realised you binged.🙂

I think an occasional binge is good for our mental health if not for the physical. You seem to be recovering. good luck and back to the normal diet🙂

A handful of berries is a portion and I would generally stick to one portion a day. It sounds like you had about 10x that so whilst berries are a lower carb fruit, eating very large portions in one day as you did will add up to a decent carb intake. The good news is that today is a new day and Diabetes has no memory or so they say, so you can start today with a clean sheet and I am sure all those extra nutrients in the fruit will have given your immune system a boost if nothing else.
As regards the boils, I find Germolene rubbed in well (to stimulate blood flow) twice a day works really well for anything like that, but seek advice if they don't show signs of clearing up in a couple of days!

Since you only rose modestly into the 8s I wouldn’t be overly concerned, so don't beat yourself up, or give yourself a hard time.

You quickly realised you had overdone things, and then shared here, which shows you want to be open, honest and accountable for your actions. Well done! That is nothing like as easy as it seems, and will serve you well going forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back