Setraline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulfate

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi, my Hbca1 is now thankfully back to 41,the upper range of normal.
This took 2'years of watching and changing my diet.
I have been on amitriptyline for over 8 years(reduced from 100mg to 30) I've started setraline 4 weeks ago will this affect my Hbca1 readings as I'm hoping to get it down more.
Thanks so much

That is a useful site.
It does suggest that GP should provide a monitor so people check and adjust their diabetes management accordingly as blood glucose may not be as easy to 'control'

It might do or it might not, it’s individual. If you need antidepressants though, then not taking them could mean your low mood increases your blood sugars (if you can’t eat well or exercise). If the sertraline gets you in a better place mood-wise then perhaps that will outweigh any impact the medication has on blood sugar?

It might do or it might not, it’s individual. If you need antidepressants though, then not taking them could mean your low mood increases your blood sugars (if you can’t eat well or exercise). If the sertraline gets you in a better place mood-wise then perhaps that will outweigh any impact the medication has on blood sugar?
I am taking 50mg each day and do feel better for it. My sleep is slowly getting better too. From what I've read it says people with diabetes may have their blood sugars raised or not so well controlled. As I'm not actually diabetic I was just curious

That is a useful site.
It does suggest that GP should provide a monitor so people check and adjust their diabetes management accordingly as blood glucose may not be as easy to 'control'
Thanks LL

As I'm not actually diabetic I was just curious
Your hba1c is in the pre diabetes range indicating your body is poor at controlling blood sugars so it may apply to you too

Are you monitoring your levels at home @Sulfate?

That would have perhaps been the mist direct way to monitor any effect - though if you don’t have a feel for likely levels from before you started the sertraline I guess it wouldn’t be so easy to use results now as a comparison.

I have taken a lowish dose of sertraline off and on over the last few winters and haven’t noticed any effect on my BGs personally.

Are you monitoring your levels at home @Sulfate?

That would have perhaps been the mist direct way to monitor any effect - though if you don’t have a feel for likely levels from before you started the sertraline I guess it wouldn’t be so easy to use results now as a comparison.

I have taken a lowish dose of sertraline off and on over the last few winters and haven’t noticed any effect on my BGs personally.
Hi, I do monitor at home with a gluconavii, but not everyday and not every meal. Before I started on Sertraline my readings were sometimes 4.8ish, mostly 5.6's. I started 26th May, today & yesterday 6.3 before breakfast and 2 days ago 6.6. From 26th May to a couple of days ago the average was between 5.1 and 5.7 with the occasional higher reading. But I don't test daily or every meal. So its only been higher the last couple of days and as I read about it today I did wonder and I'm a bit anxious as I don't want my hbca1 to go back up. This could be just me as I'm a natural worrier. I do feel better after nearly 4 weeks on Sertraline. Thanks for reading my post.

Those aren’t major changes - and could just be within the imprecise tolerances of home BG meters themselves.

As you’ve been taking sertraline for 4 weeks I would any effect to be evident by now?

It will be interesting to see if your levels edge back down again after a while, or whether they stay a little higher than they were?

Those aren’t major changes - and could just be within the imprecise tolerances of home BG meters themselves.

As you’ve been taking sertraline for 4 weeks I would any effect to be evident by now?

It will be interesting to see if your levels edge back down again after a while, or whether they stay a little higher than they were?
Do you mean taking it for 4 weeks I would notice an effect or its not long enough to notice? Thanks for the info that the changes aren't significant🙂

Do you mean taking it for 4 weeks I would notice an effect or its not long enough to notice? Thanks for the info that the changes aren't significant🙂

I was thinking (in my completely medically unqualified way) that after 4 weeks any BG changes would be happening if they were going to?

As to whether the slight rises you’ve seen are clinically significant, I think that may depend on how long they stay like that or drift back down again, and also whether there‘s a slight rise in your HbA1c. Questions for your nurse or GP really!

But 5.5ish to 6.3ish didn’t seem all that big a difference to my untrained eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back