Set up in London with diabetes Type 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello, everyone!

Writing to you to get your support to solve my situation.

I moved to London from Latvia at the end of August this year (2020), as I entered the university to become a film maker.
I am 23 years old and, since 2007, I got a Diabetes mellitus typus I (1 Type), Miopia I, Polyneuropathia diabetica and a Gilbert's syndrome (GS).

Here are some questions that I would like to receive answers to:

1. How can I register to a GP and to an endocrinologist in London (I live in the Croydon area)?
  2. How can I start getting my medicines? (in Latvia I used Fiasp (insulinum aspart), Toujeo (insulinum glarginum), Contour Plus glucometer and strips for bloodsamples)
  3. Is it possible for a diabetic to obtain disabled status in England? (in Latvia I got a Third Group of Disablity and got a EU Disabled Person's Identity Card). How does this aspect work in UK, especially in London?
  4. Are there any financial support, loans or benefits for diabetics in England? (public transport, public places, housing payments, food, etc.)
  5. Is there anything important or interesting that I also need to know as a diabetic just moving to London?

Will be glad for any response, advice and life hacks 🙂

Last edited:
Hi Nikita - speak to the students welfare people at your college. All the medications you already use are available in the UK - but I am not at all knowledgeable about what - if anything - foreign students have to pay for their healthcare here. Think it might be free whilst you are a full time student same as it is for UK nationals.

We get no financial help or disability status - other than exemption from prescription charges at our nominated pharmacy, so you definitely need to get your GP registration sorted out as soon as possible!

Hi Nikita,

You might find that your university has a health centre which you can register with.

I'm not sure whether disability rules have changed but our government assesses people on their ability to work through very specific work assessment interviews - for example do you need help showering or cooking etc. You score points against each question and to get financial help you need a certain score.

I think that some people who used to get benefits are no longer doing so. For example, I am certainly not well enough to be able to hold down any job right now but because my symptoms of "feeling like crap" for periods of the day and "extended exhaustion at random times of the day" are not in the questionnaire, I wouldn't be able to get financial support if I applied. I'm lucky I don't need it but this will be hurting a lot of people.

The following government link might be a good place to start looking into this:

Hi @Nikita Listopad-Podobeds 🙂

Your university might have an office that can help foreign students. To register with a GP, you need to phone one close to you and ask to register. You then fill out forms and provide ID. The GP will then be able to give you a prescription for your medication which you can collect at any pharmacy. When you phone the GP, tell them you’re diabetic and need insulin.

The GP will refer you to an endocrinologist if needed.

I don’t know if you’ll qualify for disability benefits. Type 1s don’t normally unless they have additional problems.

There are no loans specifically for people with diabetes.

Good luck with your course 🙂

I highly doubt you'll get any disability, I'm unemployed and on benefits and they didn't even like me having to change my appointment time with them to be able to attend hospital appointments about my eyes xx

Welcome to the forum @Nikita Listopad-Podobeds

Type 1 diabetes is registered as a disability in the UK, so you are protected under the Equalities Act (your university or employer etc cannot discriminate against you because of your T1), however as others have said there isn’t generally much direct financial support other than for free prescriptions, and regular monitoring for eye checks etc.

Hope you can register with a GP without too much bother, and that the exit from the EU doesn’t cause you any extra hassles. As a T1 you would usually be seen at a hospital for your diabetes in the UK, with ‘general’ medical matters and prescriptions being managed by your GP.

Hopefully your university student services can give you some help and pointers. You might also want to call the Diabetes UK helpline on 0345 123 2399 (9-6 Mon-Fri) if you need answers to any questions.

Good luck with your studies!

Hi Nikita, and welcome to the forum. As others have stated there isn't really any financial help in the UK for those living with Type One Diabetes.

As you are a student you should be able to get extra help at university with Diabetes. This can be extra time at exams, and extensions at essay deadlines. For this you would need to speak to the disability team.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

And don’t forget to get your Exemption Certificate to ensure you don’t pay for your prescriptions. When you get to register with a GP ask for the form (I think, but it’s a long time since I had to do that so sorry if I have that wrong)

I'd be naffed if I were to visit England and need an emergency prescription, think the way it would work is I'd possibly have to pay and reclaim it lol xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back