Set change schoolboy error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Cycle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Made a bit of a schoolboy error yesterday. Did a set change yesterday afternoon about 4.30pm and then had my tea around 6pm (blood glucose was 6.2 mmol/l). Friends came round in the evening and as the evening wore on I thought I started to have that rising blood glucose feeling. Confident in my abilities (that was my first mistake right there), ahem, 🙄 I persevered for a bit as I knew I'd bolused correctly but when I checked it was 26.4 mmol/l. (Libre would have identified this sooner - are you listening North Staffordshire CCG?) I wasn't sure what had gone wrong and did a correction but I could smell insulin so I removed the cannula and realised I'd inserted it with the thin blue plastic needle guard still on over the inserter needle. The plastic needle guard had stuck itself in the top of my skin (so that was the slight pain I could feel 🙄) and the insulin was oozing out of the top.

My excuse is I rushed it when I did it trying to sort other things out - children, meals, life o_O etc and it's only the fourth one I've done but obviously wasn't concentrating. I changed the cannula (removing the plastic needle guard this time 🙄) and sorted it. Just goes to show how things can go rapidly downhill. I won't be making that mistake again.

Oops!

I confess I’ve done that once too, though fortunately for me it was somewhere I could see, hurt like stink and the cannula didn’t insert at all so I knew right off that I needed to go again.

Well at least you've got that one out of the way early on Matt! 😉 I took a few weeks longer than you to leave the blue needle casing hanging out of me. It does show how quickly things can go very wrong without any long acting insulin floating around- or any insulin for that matter. Hope things are going well for you and your pump- schoolboy error excepted. 🙂

Oops!

I confess I’ve done that once too, though fortunately for me it was somewhere I could see, hurt like stink and the cannula didn’t insert at all so I knew right off that I needed to go again.

Well at least you've got that one out of the way early on Matt! 😉 I took a few weeks longer than you to leave the blue needle casing hanging out of me. It does show how quickly things can go very wrong without any long acting insulin floating around- or any insulin for that matter.

Glad to hear I'm not the only person who's done it. 😉:D

Hope things are going well for you and your pump- schoolboy error excepted. 🙂

It can only get better Matt :D

Apart from yesterday evenings 'experiment' it's going great so far. 🙂

You are definitely not the only one to have done that. Good to realise early on how quickly things can change when a mistake occurs. One bit of advice I was given is if things are much higher than you want it is worth doing the correction using a pen (a,one with any increase you use whenvery high) and that buys you time to more calmly sort out what the problem is. I find it calms the situation and I can work more logically through the possibilities.

Glad you sorted it and know for another time. There are a few things to cause a hiccough with the pump, but for me the benefits far outweigh the benefits. However just been on a walk, ate a share of crisps in the pub but also ate an apple for the walk without insulin. Won’t do that again (for a while) as I found I was 19 after about half an hour.

You are definitely not the only one to have done that. Good to realise early on how quickly things can change when a mistake occurs. One bit of advice I was given is if things are much higher than you want it is worth doing the correction using a pen (a,one with any increase you use whenvery high) and that buys you time to more calmly sort out what the problem is. I find it calms the situation and I can work more logically through the possibilities.

Glad you sorted it and know for another time. There are a few things to cause a hiccough with the pump, but for me the benefits far outweigh the benefits. However just been on a walk, ate a share of crisps in the pub but also ate an apple for the walk without insulin. Won’t do that again (for a while) as I found I was 19 after about half an hour.

Even though I knew what the problem was I did correct with a pen, just to make sure. 😉 Apart from that issue it's all been straightforward. People have said it's like learning about diabetes all over again. I don't agree with that at all. It's just a different way of injecting insulin. My DSN said a lot of people with pumps don't even use things like TBR's - which seems a bit of a waste to me. I'm quite 'enjoying' filling the reservoirs - it's like going back to the old syringes days.

I've started using a reduced TBR on my walk back from work when I get dropped off - it's 1.5 to 2.5 miles (sometimes go via the shops) but I walk quite quickly. Very useful in those situations. As with all things T1 though it's never the same every time. 🙄

That sounds painful!

Glad that you are getting to grips with using the TBRs. They are so useful.
I find I slip into old habits and forget, by reading your post has reminded me to use my reductionof 10% if I have had a glass of wine, to avoid a dip later on.
Thanks Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back