Sensory teaching assistant with a pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy82

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi At the moment I am having a little trouble at work due to my pump, basically I am working with a child that is very aggressive and always punches and kicks - this last week he has been catching my pump and whereits attached to me which is hurting alot. My boss has told me a must still stay with the child but try and find a cover for my pump and attachment area. Does anybody know of anything that would be good for this? After looking I can only find basic pretty one.

Many thanks
Amy

Which pump do you have @Amy82 ? When I worked with an aggressive child, I wore my pump on a Hid-in belt but put it at my back rather than my tummy like usual. Obviously you can’t move a patch pump so I wondered which pump you’re using?

I’d also add that Type 1 is treated as a disability and reasonable adjustments should be made. One could say that placing you with such a child when you’re wearing a critical life-preserving device is unreasonable.

When I queried it I was told that I took the job on and shud just get on with it - I really need to keep my job.

Both if I'm honest, he's a big 9 year old and just punches and kicks as much as possible.

Both if I'm honest, he's a big 9 year old and just punches and kicks as much as possible.
Put some tape over the tubing near the cannula, this way it can't be pulled out. As to protecting the pump can you pad the pump and put it in a money belt under your clothing so perhaps out of sight out of mind thus the lad wont deliberatly aim for it.
IMHO it is not part of your job to be assaulted by anyone which includes 9 yr old child with special needs.

Try a Hid-in belt:

That’s what I used. I wore the belt at my back (children usually kick/punch towards your front) under my clothes. My cannula is in my thigh normally so that was usually ok. I did sometimes put my cupped hand over it though if I felt it was vulnerable.

Don’t let them bully you into putting up with it. They have a duty of care towards you as an employee. This child needs appropriate support at times when they’re aggressive eg an additional member of staff to help or to help remove them from the situation. You can bet your bottom dollar that if it was a member of the management team being kicked and punched, they’d find a solution very quickly.

Thank you very much - the problem is my boss knows I need my job and they really don't care as long as I don't make a scene - I keep being told that other people manage to get one

When I queried it I was told that I took the job on and shud just get on with it - I really need to keep my job.

Well done to you for looking after this troubled youngster @Amy82

Makes you wonder what they have been going through / are going through to result in these outbursts.

Hope you are able to get more support for your challenging working conditions, especially in light of the ‘reasonable adjustments’ employers are required to make to accommodate people with diabetes.

There is some information about rights and responsibilities at work on the main DUK site here:

Or you might find it helpful to call the DUK Helpline next week (Mon-Fri 9-6) on the number at the top of the page, and chat through the situation you are facing with one of the friendly advisors.

Thank you very much - the problem is my boss knows I need my job and they really don't care as long as I don't make a scene - I keep being told that other people manage to get one

But employment law could make them care. I had a boss like that once. Don’t let them fool you with their bullying and ‘couldn’t care a less’ attitude. They know full well they have responsibilities and are just hoping you don’t.

Apart from anything else, they’re failing this child if the child is so aggressive. If you don’t feel up to complaining, speak to the SENDCO if you’re in a school. Say you’re worried about the child and ask for strategies or a review of their behavioural plan. This will hopefully give you the opportunity to explain exactly what’s happening and have input into a better way of dealing with things.

Hi At the moment I am having a little trouble at work due to my pump, basically I am working with a child that is very aggressive and always punches and kicks - this last week he has been catching my pump and whereits attached to me which is hurting alot. My boss has told me a must still stay with the child but try and find a cover for my pump and attachment area. Does anybody know of anything that would be good for this? After looking I can only find basic pretty one.

Many thanks
Amy
Try this works great for me with Minimed780G pump, and small cost. No viewing window, but easy to keep cable tidy. It stretches to suit your pump. The only problem - plastic buckle clip at centre of your back precludes sleeping on back.

My phone won't load the MiniMed APP but then the app doesn't actually allow you to add bolus for meals - so I need to access the pump for that.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear how the management are responding to the situation with the disturbed child that you are managing. You need the job but they also need you and have a duty of care toward both you and the child.

With regard to practicalities:( I use the same system as you)
Pump: With your tubed pump you can position it in a variety of places. Would a hid n belt fixed to your upper thigh work any better. The pump can sit safely in there.
Cannulas:With regard to your cannulas taping a loop of the tubing as it exits the cannula is useful. Any tug pulls on there rather than on the cannula. It also protects you from getting any bruising in the cannula site Which sometimes then requires a new one.
Sensor:Have you had any issues with your sensor? Is this on the back of your upper arm? That feels like a safe place. It depends on how aggressive your student is. I out an additional tape over the whole of my sensor/transmitter if needed. These were provided by Medtronic.

Do you have union representation. It can feel lonely tackling issues around your work, but the unions are there to help members with such situations and can advocate on your behalf.

I will have a look to see what works best, but thank you
I have been working at the school for just over a year and it is my first ta role so I need more experience before I can start looking anywhere else - it is a private school and so seems like the only rules are what the management says - I'm not a member of a union as far as I know no-one is at the school my sister told me today to look into if a union would cover me too.

I will have a look to see what works best, but thank you
I have been working at the school for just over a year and it is my first ta role so I need more experience before I can start looking anywhere else - it is a private school and so seems like the only rules are what the management says - I'm not a member of a union as far as I know no-one is at the school my sister told me today to look into if a union would cover me too.
Just because it is a private school, health and safety and employment law still apply.

@Amy82 you could do with being a member of a Union as you are working with children. I'm a TA too, and as you're working with a child who is aggressive, you need the support. Management have no right to just say get on with it. It doesn't matter whether the school is private, council controlled or part of an academy, they have a duty of care to you as well.

Have you had any training on how to deal with the behaviour or have anyone else to step in and help? Have you been told any reason why this child behaves as they do or whether there are any triggers?

I hope you get some answers or something sorted tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back