Sensor protection

poohbear

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All

I have just received my libre 2 sensor on prescription. I know there are loads of different sticker covers available, but can anyone tell me which ones are better. I had ordered some from Amazon but they are not suitable as the patch covers the whole sensor and I thought the sensor could not be covered over? Thanks.

You can use the covers you have bought but it would be wise to poke a hole in the middle so that the skin under the sensor can "breath", because that is part of the function of the hole in the middle of the sensor.

Personally I use an arm strap which I have found works great for me. It consists of a 3D printed watch face which fits exactly around the circumference of the sensor and an elastic adjustable strap which holds it in place. I haven't lost a sensor since using this 3 years ago and my sensor is still stuck like a limpet on day 15 when I have to prise it off. Prior to that I had losses due to catching it on clothing or doors or reaching into feed bins or scrubbing it off in the shower. The strap acts as a visual reminder of which arm my sensor is on when I am in the shower or towel drying afterwards as well as providing support/protection although I think the biggest benefit may be in ensuring a really good bond with my skin in the first 24 hours. I bought mine off ebay but I am sure they are available on other shopping sites and they come in a variety of colours from skin tone through various shades of pastel to loud and proud neons.

I should say that some people don't need any additional protection support for their Libre or other CGM and it will depend on your skin type/bond with the adhesive and lifestyle. Skin prep and placement of the sensor are also important factors in ensuring good adhesion and safety from hazards like door frames and sports bra straps if you need such garments.

Why do you think you need covers?
My recommendation is to make sure it is applied to a dry, grease-free, flat part of your arm that you are unlikely to knock.
Unless you are prone to bumping into things or forgetting that you have a sensor on your arm when you wash it dress or have greasy skin, the sensor should stick fine without any cover.
The only time I need one is if I am spending a long time in water (e.g. when swimming for longer than an hour).
My advice would be to save your money unless you find you need something.
Now you have a sensor, you will be surprised how many you see "in the wild" and very few are covered.

Hi All

I have just received my libre 2 sensor on prescription. I know there are loads of different sticker covers available, but can anyone tell me which ones are better. I had ordered some from Amazon but they are not suitable as the patch covers the whole sensor and I thought the sensor could not be covered over? Thanks.
Do you need a cover? I never use one. If any come off early (rare) then I order a replacement.

I never use a cover even playing full contact rugby, I might very very weather and muddy but other than that I never wear them.
They stand up to hot weather sweat, pools, saltwater, suncream and after sun and they survive.

I wouldn’t bother personally

I have to use a piece of micropore tape across the sensor and around my tricep/shoulder (though not joining on the other side) as otherwise the edges of the sensor tend to peel up (even more than they do now) and a path to the centre is eventually exposed and the sensor eventually dies.

I do now snip a hole in the middle (it's now quite hard to aim and get the tape on flat) but for more than a year (and probably two) I didn't bother and had no adverse side effects.

I guess it may depend on quite where one places the sensor and the shape of your arm as to how much "peeling" effect the sensor sees.

At first used tubular bandage & such to hold libre sensor in place, after while didn't bother as found they stuck firm enough to skin provided you do prep.

Same with Dexcom, have overpatches for sensor but to date have only used 2 as a precaution.

I used to cover mine when I was swimming regularly.

I never use a cover even playing full contact rugby, I might very very weather and muddy but other than that I never wear them.
They stand up to hot weather sweat, pools, saltwater, suncream and after sun and they survive.

I wouldn’t bother personally
I will add I have played 3 seasons of full contact (UK weather) rugby and never lost a signal libre.

I have lost 1 omnipod, but it was already only hanging onto me and I should have changed it before training, so user error rather than the pod.

My dexcoms have just been peeling off with the heat…todays fresh one has come off completely, so a new record for me not even 24 hours!

I felt bad putting my prescription in so I’ve been finger testing but my nurse told me off when I spoke to her on Friday. I always wear it on my arm but tonight I’ve tried my belly for a change…let’s just pray I don’t wiggle too much in my sleep otherwise it’ll be heat 2 Dexcom 0

I’ve had patches from typeone but even they have failed the test whilst at work and bootcamp! I think I’ll be trying rock tape next!

My dexcoms have just been peeling off with the heat…todays fresh one has come off completely, so a new record for me not even 24 hours!

I felt bad putting my prescription in so I’ve been finger testing but my nurse told me off when I spoke to her on Friday. I always wear it on my arm but tonight I’ve tried my belly for a change…let’s just pray I don’t wiggle too much in my sleep otherwise it’ll be heat 2 Dexcom 0

I’ve had patches from typeone but even they have failed the test whilst at work and bootcamp! I think I’ll be trying rock tape next!

Make sure skin is thoroughly cleaned & dry before application, I use alcohol wipes or surgical spirit which does a fine job of it.

Heat really shouldn't bother device adhesion if skin is cleansed, not had either libre or dexcom come away because of it.

You can use the covers you have bought but it would be wise to poke a hole in the middle so that the skin under the sensor can "breath", because that is part of the function of the hole in the middle of the sensor.

Personally I use an arm strap which I have found works great for me. It consists of a 3D printed watch face which fits exactly around the circumference of the sensor and an elastic adjustable strap which holds it in place. I haven't lost a sensor since using this 3 years ago and my sensor is still stuck like a limpet on day 15 when I have to prise it off. Prior to that I had losses due to catching it on clothing or doors or reaching into feed bins or scrubbing it off in the shower. The strap acts as a visual reminder of which arm my sensor is on when I am in the shower or towel drying afterwards as well as providing support/protection although I think the biggest benefit may be in ensuring a really good bond with my skin in the first 24 hours. I bought mine off ebay but I am sure they are available on other shopping sites and they come in a variety of colours from skin tone through various shades of pastel to loud and proud neons.

I should say that some people don't need any additional protection support for their Libre or other CGM and it will depend on your skin type/bond with the adhesive and lifestyle. Skin prep and placement of the sensor are also important factors in ensuring good adhesion and safety from hazards like door frames and sports bra straps if you need such garments.
Thank you so much. My strap has just arrived and it's fab. I have sight problems and keep bumping in to things so the strap is just ideal x

Thank you so much. My strap has just arrived. It's great. I have sight issues and keep bumping into things so the strap is ideal x

I use one of these:

Designed for wrist, but I wrap it around my arm. It does require a bit of un-picking of stitches to use on your arm, but it attaches to itself with Velcro so you can adjust how tight it is etc. I use mine all day long and also shower with it, then replace after shower letting the older one dry until the next day.

Technically you should not need this - but if you're clumsy oaf like me, it just takes one knock and it's gone. I had one come off taking my shirt off too - which is quite honestly heartbreaking, so I just take this precaution now.

There is a little bit of knack in getting them on, and they don't last forever either, but do last many months. You can get these in a tan colour (and cheaper) off places like Temu too.

Urghhh.... My libre fell off after 2 days. I think it's the heat. I'm looking for a proper solution to this as it's awkward having to phone the pharmacist for another prescription. I've been looking at bands on eBay / amazon etc. Does anyone know what is the best quality band available? I'll be wearing it 24/7 so need to be comfortable at night etc. Thanks in advance .

I just bought a bog standard one off ebay. It does very occasionally pinch if I catch it wrong but part of that is it doing it's job and protecting the sensor. I wear mine 24/7 and don't have any problems sleeping or anything.
I think you may be able to get silicone ones rather than the 3d printed hard plastic which I have and they are probably a bit softer but I would worry that a softer more flexible cover wouldn't give the same protection and it might drag on clothing. I think they are also a lot more expensive. I paid £8.95 for my 3D printed plastic one and I am onto my second strap for it in 3 years.

Hi, thanks so much for your reply. I checked those ones out - was a bit concerned they'd be uncomfortable but I think I'll go for it. Thanks again!

If you are using an elasticated strap do be careful that you aren’t applying too much pressure, which could effectively created a mild, and permanent compression low.

Back