Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowerpower123!

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

I am due a pump upgrade and my nurse wants to put me forward for a hybrid closed-loop system. I am 90% sure I want to go with the Ypsomed pump with CamAPS FX for my next pump.

The funding for this would include:
- the insulin pump
- the consumables e.g. infusion sets
- the CamAPS subscription.

However, the cost of sensors may be an issue as I am on the FreestyleLibre 2 and the loop system requires either Dexcom G6 or Freestyle Libre 3.
I am meeting with my nurse to discuss this a little more as I may need to self-fund sensors until the new NICE guidelines have been finalised.

1) Please can you advise me on how much each sensor would cost me (to self fund) vs the cost to the NHS (if they fund it).
2) Who is eligible for CGM like Dexcom G6 or Freestyle Libre 3? What criteria must you meet to be offered this type of sensor?

Thanks 🙂

A quick use of Google was able to provide answers
1) Please can you advise me on how much each sensor would cost me (to self fund) vs the cost to the NHS (if they fund it).
The Dexcom G6 is available to buy from Dexcom
2) Who is eligible for CGM like Dexcom G6 or Freestyle Libre 3? What criteria do you have to meet to be offered its type of sensor?
This is described in the NICE guidelines (search for "Continuous Glucose Monitoring" on this page).
But you are best to talk to your local diabetes team (e.g. DSN) as this guidelines are interpreted differently by each CCG (or whatever they are called nowadays) and they are only "guidelines".

The funding route for L3 is different. You become the direct contact for Abbott although the bills are paid more centrally than with prescription options.

All a bit of a muddle isn't it?

As I understand things you can't buy Libre 3 if you wanted to so if it's down to that then you'd be stuck with Dexcom G6.

I hope (and suspect) they'll fund the whole package so there's no problem.

I would hope so too.

For Dex G6, if it comes to that, you can order 3-monthly packs which saves money. I then squeeze more value out of my self-funding I restart my sensors for an extra 10 days (or a much as I can reliably get).

It’s the only way I could afford the sensors full time.

The funding route for L3 is different. You become the direct contact for Abbott although the bills are paid more centrally than with prescription options.

All a bit of a muddle isn't it?
It is a bit:rofl:! I may call Abbott to find out how to get my hands on these.

I would hope so too.

For Dex G6, if it comes to that, you can order 3-monthly packs which saves money. I then squeeze more value out of my self-funding I restart my sensors for an extra 10 days (or a much as I can reliably get).

That's good to know there are ways to get your money's worth out of them.

It is a bit:rofl:! I may call Abbott to find out how to get my hands on these.
I don't know if the Abbott help line will know, but nothing lost.

Your DSN or endo consultant should/will know. They have to go thru a process much like with pumps that are treated in this way.

I would hope so too.

How did that 10 day extension work out then, was it accurate to a point beyond normal sensor expiry.

How did that 10 day extension work out then, was it accurate to a point beyond normal sensor expiry.

They work great for me! I used to restart my Enlite / G3s too, and I trialled Dex before switching to make sure the restarting was going to work, as I couldn’t afford it otherwise.

I get 8-10 extra days out of pretty much every sensor, and the results are solid enough to dose from and/or loop for me.

I do keep a closer eye on them, and once or twice a sensor has wobbled towards the end and needed to be swapped early, but most run 2x 10.

They work great for me! I used to restart my Enlite / G3s too, and I trialled Dex before switching to make sure the restarting was going to work, as I couldn’t afford it otherwise.

I get 8-10 extra days out of pretty much every sensor, and the results are solid enough to dose from and/or loop for me.

I do keep a closer eye on them, and once or twice a sensor has wobbled towards the end and needed to be swapped early, but most run 2x 10.
wow fantastic hack. love this!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back