Sensible approach to information for Diabetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard kenny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I found out I was type 2 three years ago, it didn't come as a great surprise as I was about 3 stone overweight and always had a sweet tooth but was offset to a degree as I played a lot of active sports. Thankfully after being very aggressive with my diet I lost weight lowered my sugar levels and went into remission. This journey wasn't without frustration regarding information on what was available to enjoy a few of the niceties but not increase my sugar levels in particular Alcohol which seems to be very difficult for medical staff and websites like this to give sensible information on what is available without fear of been accused of promoting other health risks. I had to do a lot research myself which others are not be able do and I was able to find a whole host sugar free alcoholic drinks which are available but not freely advertised. I now get to enjoy real golden ales which contain low sugar level and even Rose' wine with 0% sugar which has made life so much more enjoyable. It would be great if far reaching organisations such as this could produce useful practical information on what's out here which is not supressed by other health concerns...as many of us understand this and can navigate this in their daily lives. This is not moan I just think it would be really helpful to us.

You should be able to drink normal dry table wine @richard kenny as the sugar in it is largely turned into alcohol. You can also drink spirits like vodka, gin, whisky, etc with slimline/diet mixers.

Hello @richard kenny, welcome to the forum.

In principle your basic request seems perfectly reasonable. However I can see some possible difficulties. I've been using this Forum for about 4 years and while it is independent of Diabetes UK the forum website is hosted by Diabetes UK which makes the administration and general website management affordable (as users we pay nothing) and ultimately possible. So there may be constraints that I speculate might exist; others can clarify that.

We forum members do mention or inform other forum members about any number of things that might be construed as advertising under certain circumstances - but seem to mainly be acceptable when kept in context. Mention of a specific low carb non alcoholic drink would be most unlikely to trigger an adverse reaction. Possibly even keeping a running thread on this Forum could be viable, as a series of postings by members discussing different drinks - we do this for many other topics. But the Forum has no particular sway over what Diabetes UK considers necessary or useful and how or what they put their time and energy into. Diabetes UK is a recognised and respected Agency (that might not be exactly the right noun) by the NHS and to remain credible to the NHS I suspect D UK needs to walk a tightrope every day to find a balance between the NHS (which can often be out of date with its published information) and what they know is better, more credible, information.

You might reasonably conclude that the "far reaching organisation" is the collective mind of Forum members with centuries of accumulated experience!

You mention your hard won research in finding practical information. Do you have nuggets that you might share with us? Oh, and extremely well done with both your successful weight loss and getting back into a remission status. Success stories are in themselves always welcomed and happily promoted to let those newly diagnosed see that their diagnosis need not be so desperate as it feels when those results are announced. So welcome aboard.

Thank you for you reply assume this has been automated by the words i have used.
It’s more about what is available to you. Dry table wine still contains relatively high amount sugar especially if you drink more than one glass. There are wines out there that contain 0% sugar and would useful to have a forum containing what is available to us. Such as a website https://drinkwelluk.com/ which has been a extremely useful discovery.
Many thx

Thank you for you reply assume this has been automated by the words i have used.
It’s more about what is available to you. Dry table wine still contains relatively high amount sugar especially if you drink more than one glass. There are wines out there that contain 0% sugar and would useful to have a forum containing what is available to us. Such as a website https://drinkwelluk.com/ which has been a extremely useful discovery.
Many thx

But the sugar in dry wine is turned to alcohol @richard kenny I have Type 1 and need to be aware of all carbs that pass my lips (because I need to inject insulin to cover them) but dry wine does not need any insulin because the amount of carbs is negligible, the sugar having been turned to alcohol, and the alcohol level itself often negates those negligible carbs.

Hello @richard kenny, welcome to the forum.

In principle your basic request seems perfectly reasonable. However I can see some possible difficulties. I've been using this Forum for about 4 years and while it is independent of Diabetes UK the forum website is hosted by Diabetes UK which makes the administration and general website management affordable (as users we pay nothing) and ultimately possible. So there may be constraints that I speculate might exist; others can clarify that.

We forum members do mention or inform other forum members about any number of things that might be construed as advertising under certain circumstances - but seem to mainly be acceptable when kept in context. Mention of a specific low carb non alcoholic drink would be most unlikely to trigger an adverse reaction. Possibly even keeping a running thread on this Forum could be viable, as a series of postings by members discussing different drinks - we do this for many other topics. But the Forum has no particular sway over what Diabetes UK considers necessary or useful and how or what they put their time and energy into. Diabetes UK is a recognised and respected Agency (that might not be exactly the right noun) by the NHS and to remain credible to the NHS I suspect D UK needs to walk a tightrope every day to find a balance between the NHS (which can often be out of date with its published information) and what they know is better, more credible, information.

You might reasonably conclude that the "far reaching organisation" is the collective mind of Forum members with centuries of accumulated experience!

You mention your hard won research in finding practical information. Do you have nuggets that you might share with us? Oh, and extremely well done with both your successful weight loss and getting back into a remission status. Success stories are in themselves always welcomed and happily promoted to let those newly diagnosed see that their diagnosis need not be so desperate as it feels when those results are announced. So welcome aboard.
Thank you very much for your reply this is really useful.

I recently discovered this website which gives a little luxury without sugar level worries which can dampen my enjoyment of a p
But the sugar in dry wine is turned to alcohol @richard kenny I have Type 1 and need to be aware of all carbs that pass my lips (because I need to inject insulin to cover them) but dry wine does not need any insulin because the amount of carbs is negligible, the sugar having been turned to alcohol, and the alcohol level itself often negates those negligible carbs.
that very useful to know thank you
etc

Also i found drinking organic gold ales especially containing American hopes overal produce a lower alchole beer with lower exess surgar than normal larger but still packed a punch on flavour.

For me it just lifts the spirits a bit

Seriously, you can just get normal dry wine in the supermarket @richard kenny Most of those sugar-free wines are just trying to make money off people based on false information. Drink a nice glass of normal red wine and you’ll see it hardly affects your blood sugar. In fact, a number of people find it actually lowers their blood sugar a little.

Plus - you can get a bottle for half the cost of those wines on the website you linked to!

Last edited:
@richard kenny Just to add - none of the replies here are automated (not sure what you meant by that?) We’re real people with diabetes 🙂

Are you on any medication for your diabetes? What was your last HbA1C?

Thank you very much for your reply this is really useful.

I recently discovered this website which gives a little luxury without sugar level worries which can dampen my enjoyment of a p

that very useful to know thank you
etc

Also i found drinking organic gold ales especially containing American hopes overal produce a lower alchole beer with lower exess surgar than normal larger but still packed a punch on flavour.

For me it just lifts the spirits a bit
I think you have accidentally posted the same thing several times, you might want to delete some to leave just 1

@richard kenny Just to add - none of the replies here are automated (not sure what you meant by that?) We’re real people with diabetes 🙂

Are you on any medication for your diabetes? What was your last HbA1C?
No im in remission but had to be very strict with myself to achieve it. Not always fun!

Alcohol consumed with meals promotes uptake of iron. Not advised for those of us with hemochromatosis. May be advantageous in moderation for anaemics but I can't vouch for that.

My only observation is that a T2 with their BG under control would have to drink quite a lot of wine quite quickly in order for the carbohydrate consumption to become significant and as such, your diabetes would be unlikely to be the worst of your problems.

Also, as I keep on reminding people, you cannot measure carbohydrate content easily or with any accuracy. The idea that the wines on the website referenced, with their claimed zero carbohydrate levels, are any different to the 1-4 g/100g that ordinary dry wines have is fanciful. More marketing BS than anything is my opinion.

I drink loads of wine. It actually lowers BG for me.

I think you have accidentally posted the same thing several times, you might want to delete some to leave just 1
Oh sorry was on the train! Will do
My only observation is that a T2 with their BG under control would have to drink quite a lot of wine quite quickly in order for the carbohydrate consumption to become significant and as such, your diabetes would be unlikely to be the worst of your problems.

Also, as I keep on reminding people, you cannot measure carbohydrate content easily or with any accuracy. The idea that the wines on the website referenced, with their claimed zero carbohydrate levels, are any different to the 1-4 g/100g that ordinary dry wines have is fanciful. More marketing BS than anything is my opinion.
thank you very useful...perhaps I should put it to the test and see what impact it has on my sugar levels.
Hi, What you will find in the cheaper wine you mention in most supermarkets, Is wine made from grapes that have insufficient sugar levels in the fruit to turn into a sufficient levels of alcohol (usually due to not receiving enough sunlight) within it 's controlling region so sugar is added (this is allowed to a certain amount without disclosure). I know this for two reasons first collecting wine is a hobby of mine and also i have long term stomach issue with a Hiatus Hernia which reacts very badly to processed sugar... a real pain in the backside but has help me understand how sugar effects the body depending on how its processed for example if i eat cheap white bread my stomach goes into overdrive, if it's authentic French bread preferably sourdough the effects are pretty much zero. Will have another look at the wines in the supermarket though to see what there and this all very useful stuff...normally the people i'll talk to about it don't know much past knowing there is a type 1 & 2.

Mild digression @richard kenny, Jasons sell in most big supermarket chains a Seeded Protein Sourdough at 22% carbs; most breads are in the 40+ to 55% range. I need insulin so I don't have to avoid carbs; but I've tried this bread several times and my CGM indicates that my carb count for this brea at 22% is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back