Senser position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy2202

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi
Where else can you position the Libre senser? I’ve always had it on my tricep area but I find as I’m always up and about working using my arms a lot I actually do rip it off and catch it lots.

Has anyone been successful positioning it anywhere else?

Some people have positioned their sensors on their chest but, if they fail, this is not an approved position.

Have you thought about covering the sensors such as with a band that you can buy from eBay. I think @rebrascora has used these.

Yes, I really like my arm strap for giving my Libre more protection. The only time it failed to save my Libre was when a pruned back plum tree branch dug in under the strap and sensor as I was barrowing horse manure around the tree and flicked it off. To be honest, I was lucky that the branch didn't spike through my skin so can't exactly expect it to deal with that sort of trauma, but many times I have caught it and the strap has "pinged" but the sensor has remained safe. For me it has been a very worthwhile investment. I got one of the plastic 3D printed watch face variety with an adjustable elastic strap.
But yes people do wear them elsewhere on their body, like their chest or tummy. It is unclear whether wearing it in that location would be valid for DVLA purposes because you are not using a manufacturer approved site, so might need to consider finger pricking for driving and you would be well advised to finger prick to double check the Libre is giving reasonably comparable results in the new location and Abbott may not replace it if it fails and they know that you were using it elsewhere than on your arm, but ultimately it is a decision only you can make as to whether the benefit outweighs the risk. The other option might be to ask your team to prescribe the Dexcom which can officially be used on other parts of the body.

Yes, I really like my arm strap for giving my Libre more protection. The only time it failed to save my Libre was when a pruned back plum tree branch dug in under the strap and sensor as I was barrowing horse manure around the tree and flicked it off. To be honest, I was lucky that the branch didn't spike through my skin so can't exactly expect it to deal with that sort of trauma, but many times I have caught it and the strap has "pinged" but the sensor has remained safe. For me it has been a very worthwhile investment. I got one of the plastic 3D printed watch face variety with an adjustable elastic strap.
But yes people do wear them elsewhere on their body, like their chest or tummy. It is unclear whether wearing it in that location would be valid for DVLA purposes because you are not using a manufacturer approved site, so might need to consider finger pricking for driving and you would be well advised to finger prick to double check the Libre is giving reasonably comparable results in the new location and Abbott may not replace it if it fails and they know that you were using it elsewhere than on your arm, but ultimately it is a decision only you can make as to whether the benefit outweighs the risk. The other option might be to ask your team to prescribe the Dexcom which can officially be used on other parts of the body.
All makes sense.

Yes I’ve tried putting socks/tights etc over the senser but they always fall down after a few mins 🙂

I shall look at the product you use and get it ordered.

Yes I have been offered the Dexcom by my Diabetes team but I’m reluctant to do so as I like to be able to scan with my phone and not use an additional scanning system

Yes I have been offered the Dexcom by my Diabetes team but I’m reluctant to do so as I like to be able to scan with my phone and not use an additional scanning system
You don’t scan the dexcom, the results just go straight to your phone (or pump depending on which dexcom / pump people use). If your phone isn’t compatible you can get a receiver that the results go to instead.

You don’t scan the dexcom, the results just go straight to your phone (or pump depending on which dexcom / pump people use). If your phone isn’t compatible you can get a receiver that the results go to instead.
Or you can use the 'build your own dexcom app' which removes the restrictions on what phone the app can work on. Just google it, you can get it from a redditt thread, with the obvious disclaimers, i found it worked find

Hi
Where else can you position the Libre senser? I’ve always had it on my tricep area but I find as I’m always up and about working using my arms a lot I actually do rip it off and catch it lots.

Has anyone been successful positioning it anywhere else?

Worn sensors on chest, it's only recommended & tested for use on arms but accuracy of device was no different using alternative site.

Abbott recommend the back of the arm as their location. That was where the sensor was designed to go, and where it was in the initial trials.

If I remember right, Abbott did conduct a trial with alternative sites after launch, but the results weren’t as reliable.

I think we’ve had a few members who have reported some success with other areas, but Abbott would say back of arm is the better place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back