Sending thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiffcam13

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Firstly hello to all you lovely people. A quick recap on my diabetes journey so far. Diagnosed as T2D on 14 Feb Hba1c 112. Had lost weight and other symptoms prompted a visit to the doc. Am a slim, active and reasonably healthy 59 years young.

Some members on the forum advised/suggested that I request further tests (antibody tests) as there was a possibility diagnosis wasn’t as straightforward as initially thought. The DNS and GP thought so too however the hospital diabetic team were reluctant to carry these out. After further consultation with GP and pushing for the tests to be done the hospital relented. Tests done over 3 weeks ago and doc phoned today. - GAD antibody test +ve and have now been referred to diabetes clinic.

So thanks for the advice - long way to go but seems am a step closer to identifying and dealing with ‘my form of diabetes’ whatever that may turn out to be.

Also had Hba1c results today - 48 - doc as delighted as I am….. . Don’t know if cholesterol has come down at all but not worrying about that today!

Wow well done you on your fantastic result.

So pleased that your health care professionals are investigating further. A positive GAD result is pointing towards an autoimmune diabetes ie Type 1 or LADAwhich means you would need insulin at some point in the future if you are not yet using it. A low carb diet can enable your body to manage on quite limited insulin production for quite a while (years) in some cases.
Many congratulations on your HbA1c reduction. That is a massive achievement. Well done!
Let us know how you get on when you get that clinic appointment.

Will do. Thanks again forum friends!

Fantastic news.
There is often talk of eating a low carb diet to postpone the need for injected insulin.
This may sound like a great idea but I have also read that injecting insulin can protect your remaining insulin producing cells. Avoiding injections can stress them out.

My approach was to get on with the rest of my life as soon as possible (start the inevitable insulin injections) and not restrict my diet unnecessarily. Eighteen years later, I still eat what I want, have a hba1c in the 40s, have no complications and don't let diabetes dictate what I do.

Yes, that’s right @helli This site even refers to the idea that early introduction of insulin can help preserve your remaining beta cells longer. Obviously it depends on how early on in the process someone is diagnosed, but delaying insulin too long isn’t a good idea IMO.

Many thanks for the info. Certainly something to consider and while the thought of injecting might not be attractive it will prob be inevitable in the long run so as you say @helli it might better starting sooner. Will let you know what the docs at the clinic say. Thanks so much for replying. Good to have your info and insights.

Well I don't cut my toenails or shave my armpits (etc) to look attractive either - I do it for hygiene and health. It's you that isn't attracted to injecting insulin whereas I'm an avid fan since it preserves my life - and quite honestly that's what anyone should do if it will.

Apologies if I caused offence.

@shiffcam13 its okay to not find injecting yourself with insulin every day appealing as a general statement. I mean, who would?
Of course it doesn't mean you shouldn't and you can't appreciate what it does to help keep you healthy and alive.

You are in a slightly more fortunate position than a lot of T1's where you have some time to come to terms with the inevitable new insulin routine vs it being thrust upon you in a day 🙂

I would absolutely ask any questions about insulin or talk about any fears you have now so its is easier when that time comes be it very soon or further down the line.

Hope your referral comes through speedily and you get on the right regime at the right time 🙂

Thanks @gll for valuable advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back