Semglee shortage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmaL76

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I had issues last time I ordered my basal, it took around 3 weeks to get it in stock at my chemist. This time it’s been 5 weeks, I popped in today (my 5th time) to be told we don’t know when or if we will be able to get this again and they suggested I talk to my doctor and switch insulin. Thing is I got about enough for a month in stock at home and as I don’t really want to change insulin does anybody know anything about this shortage ? if it’s not going to last I would rather stick it out as I’ve finally got into a good routine that’s working.

Have you rang round other pharmacies to see if they have any in stock? Often these "shortages" are down to ordering and supply issues within one franchise but another pharmacies that gets it supplies elsewhere have no problems.
Your pharmacy should then give you a paper prescription to take to the pharmacy that can dispense it.

I would not run the risk of getting 3-4 weeks down the line and finding you need to try to get an alternative insulin prescribed at short notice. Most of the Glargine insulins should act more or less the same so Lantus or Abasaglar or Toujeo should be options. That said I would take it as an opportunity to swap to Levemir..... but then I am biased 🙄

Well I asked the guy and he said it’s all pharmacies, but he was gone ages trying to sort it. He asked the lady in charge and she said the advice they had been given was to tell customers to get their insulin swapped :( I hear a lot about levemir maybe I should just bite the bullet? Thanks @rebrascora

Out of interest, is your pharmacy a Lloyds Pharmacy?
The company has shut down all their pharmacies inside Sainsburys and are looking to sell on their other local pharmacies.
As a result, they seem to be running down their supplies.

Personally, I would be phoning around other pharmacies myself rather than relying on what the guy in the shop told me. If he is a Lloyds pharmacy, he may only be in touch with others in the same chain with the same problem.

Out of interest, is your pharmacy a Lloyds Pharmacy?
The company has shut down all their pharmacies inside Sainsburys and are looking to sell on their other local pharmacies.
As a result, they seem to be running down their supplies.

Personally, I would be phoning around other pharmacies myself rather than relying on what the guy in the shop told me. If he is a Lloyds pharmacy, he may only be in touch with others in the same chain with the same problem.
Nope, I’m peak pharmacy x

@everydayupsanddowns might know if DUK have been advised of a Semglee shortage and if so, a possible resolution date.
Like @helli I absolutely would not take the word of the man in the shop, even if he is the chief pharmacist. Try totally different chemists and supermarkets. It only takes a few mins to ring round. It worked great for me when I was desperately trying to fill an HRT prescription and there was actually a national and in fact worldwide shortage of HRT I believe at the time because the newpapers were running stories on it.

Well I asked the guy and he said it’s all pharmacies, but he was gone ages trying to sort it. He asked the lady in charge and she said the advice they had been given was to tell customers to get their insulin swapped :( I hear a lot about levemir maybe I should just bite the bullet? Thanks @rebrascora

There seems to be shortages of lots of meds at the moment. I’m waiting on something from my prescription and the pharmacist said there were lots of things similarly affected. No idea why (and it wasn’t Lloyds).

I’d change personally @EmmaL76 but in your position I’d try a twice daily basal like one of the isophanes or Levemir. I use isophane when I have a pump break.

Hope you get on well with the swap to Levemir @EmmaL76 - It’s always a bit of an adjustment swapping insulin isn’t it! Never seems to be a straight unit-for-unit swap.

I can’t see any emails suggesting that a widespread shortage has been announced recently - hopefully you will have fewer shortage issues with Levemir!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back