Semaglutide

NatalieBrown36

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all I’m new to the forum and have had type 2 for a year and a half. I’ve just been put on semaglutide aka Ozempic injection once a week and have seen there are warnings for risk of Thyroid cancer When it has been tested on rodents, I’m not happy about this, has anyone else been prescribed this drug ?

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If you are not happy then discuss it with whoever prescribed it for you.

DaveB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi. Semaglutide is normally prescribed for T2s with a lot of excess weight to help reduce insulin resistance. If you are only slightly overweight you may want to suggest to the GP that you go on a low-carb diet before using the Semaglutide. Many T2s find that the low-carb diet is all they need to reduce blood sugar and weight.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @NatalieBrown36

Please to chat through your concerns with your GP around the cancer risk. All medication carries some degree of risk, but it must also be recognised that there can also be risk in NOT taking medication if it is needed. As an extreme example my personal risk of not taking the medication I am prescribed for my diabetes is 100% likelihood of an early death! :eek:

Hopefully, discussing your worries with your Dr will allow you to make an informed decision, and to work out what is the best thing to do for you personally. As has been suggested, it may be that a renewed effort with lower carb eating may provide improved results without the need for meds, but if meds will help you better manage your diabetes and reduce long-term health risks, then don’t shy away from them :)

Here are some other people’s threads mentioning Semaglutide in case they help: