Semaglutide/Wegovy 2.4mg on NHS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

polar_b

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I started Semaglutide with a private provider and currently titrating up to 1mg dose. However I can't for the life of me figure out if it's also available to me on the NHS. From what I can tell I don't qualify since I am already diabetic T2. BMI is 35+. I heard some rumours that Wegovy will be approved for the NHS later this year and with that, if prescribed through the NHS, you can go up to the max 2.4mg dose. Am I correct?

I started Semaglutide with a private provider and currently titrating up to 1mg dose. However I can't for the life of me figure out if it's also available to me on the NHS. From what I can tell I don't qualify since I am already diabetic T2. BMI is 35+. I heard some rumours that Wegovy will be approved for the NHS later this year and with that, if prescribed through the NHS, you can go up to the max 2.4mg dose. Am I correct?
Have a look at this link.

To add to that other very useful link, these are the NICE guidelines outlining criteria - it has to be at least second line treatment as I interpret it. I’m being funded by the NHS for Ozempic and are presently being titrated possibly up to a maximum of 1mg. I think it’s one of those drugs you sometimes have to fight your corner on.

NICE guidance for diabetics;

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/Recommendations#first-line-drug-treatment

If triple therapy with metformin and 2 other oral drugs is not effective, not tolerated or contraindicated, consider triple therapy by switching one drug for a GLP‑1 mimetic for adults with type 2 diabetes who:

• have a body mass index (BMI) of 35 kg/m2 or higher (adjust accordingly for people from Black, Asian and other minority ethnic groups) and specific psychological or other medical problems associated with obesity or
  • have a BMI lower than 35 kg/m2 and:
    • for whom insulin therapy would have significant occupational implications or
    • weight loss would benefit other significant obesity-related comorbidities. [2015, amended 2022]

I was advised 1.0 was currently the maximum dose available as diabetes treatment by NHS

Just been put on Ozemipic, I'm an insulin resistive T1

Just been put on Ozemipic, I'm an insulin resistive T1
Hi!
I'm a T1 who is also insulin resistant.
I was wondering how you managed to get Ozempic and if you managed to get it funded? I am really struggling and doctors have refused to prescribe to me on grounds that it's only approved for T2s. It's driving me nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back