Self testing kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oggy64

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, only diagnosed a month ago with type 2, my diabetes nurse has advised me to not bother with a self testing kit, even though I had already ordered one l just feel I need to know what's going on with my blood sugar level and 3 months to a newbie feels like an eternity. I'm on a strict fast 800 diet which is working. I had a sneaky test with my machine, after going through all lancet depth settings to eventually get at the red stuff. I got a reading of 5.8mmol/l, regardless of the reading I'm sticking to my diet. Am I wasting my time testing, should I have listened to the nurse. My initial blood sugar was 69 and my confirmation test was 64 two weeks later. I'm sure the question has been posted before, sorry

Hi @Oggy64, welcome to the forum. I was diagnosed in October and wasn't told to use one, however I posted the question on here in the newbies section, and was resoundingly told: yes! So I bought one and have been testing in the morning when I get up, before meals and two hours afterwards.
You can't tell what particular food is doing to your blood glucose unless you test.
Normal BG levels are between 4 and 7, so you're doing well.
There's some information here that's helpful.
If you post the question about testing in the newbies section, you should get some more informed answers than mine!
Best wishes, Sarah

@Oggy64 - sorry, just noticed you've already posted there. My apologies.

Thanks for that
If you are wondering why the numbers are so different, it is because your monitor is telling you your blood glucose level at that moment in time and is in mmol/l whereas he HbA1C that gave you your diagnosis is in mmol/mol and is a 3 month average of blood glucose level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back