Self-monitoring of type 2 diabetes reduces follow-up costs by more than half

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Self-monitoring of type 2 diabetes used in combination with an electronic feedback system results in considerable savings on health care costs especially in sparsely populated areas, a new study from the University of Eastern Finland shows.

Self-monitoring delivers considerable savings on the overall costs of type 2 diabetes care, as well as on patients' travel costs. Glycated hemoglobin testing is an important part of managing diabetes, and also a considerable cost item. By replacing half of the required follow-up visits with self-measurements and electronic feedback, the annual total costs of glycated hemoglobin monitoring were reduced by nearly 60 per cent, bringing the per-patient cost down from 280 EUR (300 USD) to 120 EUR (130 USD). With fewer follow-up visits required, the average annual travel costs of patients were reduced over 60 per cent, from 45 EUR (48 USD) to 17 EUR (18 USD) per patient. The study was published in the International Journal of Medical Informatics.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/06/180629102542.htm

Don’t tell NICE, they’ll have a fit.

I’m sure Bubbsie will:D

Don’t tell NICE, they’ll have a fit.

I’m sure Bubbsie will:D
I don't have any problems with the NICE guidelines relating to self monitoring blood glucose for T2 diabetics non-dependant on hypo inducing medications Mikey...providing they are understood & interpreted correctly...as you know I managed to point out to my local CCG when I challenged their blanket refusal to allow GPs at my surgery to prescribe them for me (and hopefully other T2's in the practice) long before this report...advised them they were interpreting the guidelines narrowly...inaccurately...that the guidelines do allow for SMBG for T2's not on hypo meds...providing they were as NICE stated 'finding a benefit from them' I was successful in that challenge...I thought that matter had 'died a death'...thank you for resurrecting it so succinctly ...it is something I feel other members may need to be aware of & should be aware of...I'm grateful.:D

NICE is cost driven. Do not get me started on their guidance for talking therapies. :mad:

I remember a big hoohaw when it was reported a few years ago that people were being being given paid nhs incentives to go to a well known slimming club. There was outrage!

If self testing produces improved outcomes then I think NICE should get on board.

NICE is cost driven. Do not get me started on their guidance for talking therapies. :mad:

I remember a big hoohaw when it was reported a few years ago that people were being being given paid nhs incentives to go to a well known slimming club. There was outrage!

If self testing produces improved outcomes then I think NICE should get on board.
Ruby it rather depends on who is interpreting their guidelines & how they are interpreting them...if you read the provisions carefully...you can see they do allow for SMBG ...it isn't a blanket ban...there are some qualifying conditions...however the NICE guidelines to not preclude/prevent the provision of testing stripes for T2's not on hypo meds.

NHS England are not even accepting NICE recommendations (or are being negatively creative with interpretation) on some life saving cancer drugs so it’s a double hurdle to cross!

NHS England are not even accepting NICE recommendations (or are being negatively creative with interpretation) on some life saving cancer drugs so it’s a double hurdle to cross!
I have no idea how you cope with that Amigo...my battle was with our local CCG...it was time consuming but relatively straight forward since the NICE criteria was clear (well it was for me)….how frustrating that NHS England are not accepting the NICE recommendations...that is reprehensible...how on earth do they or can they justify that...nonsensical.

Well you'd expect them to really, I'm afraid. There is a finite amount of cash available to the NHS. Ergo if there is a better drug but it's £1 dearer, they have to save that £1 somewhere else every time they prescribe it. Helping eg Amigo live longer and/or have a better QOL, will NOT save them £1 !

Pete had a cancer biopsy delayed by 12 months a couple of years ago, because they don't understand anything like 'I am out of the country until the middle of October and I can't change that' so sent him all his 3 appointments while he was unavailable one after the other before the end of September, hence he fell off the waiting list and he then had to apply to go back on it.

Basically you are fully expected to just cancel your own life when you have cancer.

Back