Self improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahb83

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Is it rational to be fretting about my next hba1c result? I’ve lost even more weight since my last one and I’m quite panicked about it being higher. I haven’t done anything silly (I had cheese cake at Christmas but apart from that nothing mad) At my last check I was as still doing 800cal a day but I’ve gradually upped it over the past 3 months to 1500 whilst remaining under 120g carb. I’m trying to keep as calm as possible about it but the closer I get to my next check the sleepless nights have returned. On the plus side I got more new dresses for the summer and my holiday and it’s amazing to be buying size 14’s from coast and things I would never have dared to even look at before. Last few weeks it’s been 1lb a week off so drastically slowed down feel a bit like a tortoise now but I suppose what my husband said is right even if it’s a 1lb a week from now it’s only gonna be another 6 months until I’m where I want to be, weight wise that’s when the hard work will begin of maintaining for the rest of my life but I’m up for the challenge! My fitness is much improved, my weight is reduced, my mental health is alright-ish at the moment and my kids have their mam back (my head has been on other planet since I was diagnosed in September) self improvement is always a good thing isn’t it?

I think it is perfectly normal to be a bit anxious to get your blood test results especially when you have put an immense amount of work into trying to improve them, but I think it may be excessive to lose sleep over them.
I am sure you have anything at all to worry about because I can tell from your posts that you are doing all the right things and the BG results you mention are all good, so I think you have more reason to be excited and look forward to your results than be anxious about them.

I agree with Mrtin.A average your own test results at home over 3 months to see roughly how you are doing

I have plotted my blood glucose test results and at the last HbA1c test at the GPs I was only a little out. So it is a rough guide but still useful and reassuring.

I should be due a new test soon and I did relax my diet a bit over Christmas, so it will be interesting to see what the effect has been.

Hi @sarahb83
Sorry, I cannot comment on your diabetes but I wanted to congratulate you on your amazing perseverance with weight loss.
It sounds as if you have done (and still doing) a fantastic job with your diet.
Your nurse cannot help but be impressed and see that you are putting in the effort.

Hi Sarah, an important thing to remember is that hba1cs fall quite quickly when in high numbers. Not sure what your previous results were, but coming down from say 80 to 50 can be quite rapid, but 50 to 40 can take just as long. Whatever the results don’t be disheartened. I’m sure that cheesecake will be out of your system by the next test 😉

Hi Sarah, an important thing to remember is that hba1cs fall quite quickly when in high numbers. Not sure what your previous results were, but coming down from say 80 to 50 can be quite rapid, but 50 to 40 can take just as long. Whatever the results don’t be disheartened. I’m sure that cheesecake will be out of your system by the next test 😉
It was 89 at diagnosis in September then by end nov down to 45, due in 2 weeks

@sarahb83 I started with Hba1c 91, next test was 47 and at 6 moths I saw 41 - I did not know if I should laugh or cry at those numbers, so I did both.
Of course I can't promise a similar result, but our first two numbers are pretty close, so if you have been sticking fairly close to the same regime which brought about the first reduction you should see something close. I do hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back