Self funding Libre 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traceyj53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Please can anyone help! I’m type 2 and been self funding Libre for 4 months! It has made a massive difference and my h A1c is down from 9.7 to 7.3! I have lost over 2 stones and started an exercise regime. SoI thought I’d see if I could get them funded! I did some research and met the NICE guideline crieteria! One of those being inject min of 2 times a day! Went to my own GP who said it can only be prescribed by a consultant. Had an appointment with consultant who said I met the criteria on several counts but he couldn’t fund them as the commissioners in my area Leicestershire haven’t agreed it but said my own DR might! Eventually went to my own doctor who agreed completely that I met criteria but still couldn’t fund it for to the commissioners?? I’ve now written to the CCG for my area and the enquiries team have passed it to the prescribing team! Very frustrating when I like many others am trying to save the nhs money by looking after myself, losing weight and getting fit! Has anyone had the same experience and do you have any advice thanks in advance

Congratulations on your hb1ac and all you have been doing. I am no expert on T2 but according to the guidelines here

flash cgm is only available to those on insulin for certain reasons including of recurrent or impaired hypoglycemia awareness etc, which I’m not sure if you have? If so, then it would seem you have a good case to take forwards - if you have updated guidance maybe you can post it here as I’m sure others in your position would find it useful.

Same here, you can’t get it funded unless the CCG in your area agrees to fund them, and they can set their own criteria for people to get them, they don’t have to follow the nice guidelines. Partha Kar only seems to deal with type 1s and individual consultants so not sure he’s going to be interested or able to change the CCG guidelines in your area.

What insulins are you on and what criteria do you qualify under? Multiple daily injections doesn’t mean injecting twice per day.

Multiple daily injections doesn’t mean injecting twice per day.
I think it does (at least in this context): https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/recommendations#multiple-daily-injections (linked from https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/Recommendations#continuous-glucose-monitoring )
Partha Kar only seems to deal with type 1s and individual consultants so not sure he’s going to be interested or able to change the CCG guidelines in your area.
I think he deals with all kinds of diabetes, and while I agree he can't change the CCG's guidelines I'm sure he'll be interested (and annoyed) if they're not following the national guidelines, and he may have some influence.

Same here, you can’t get it funded unless the CCG in your area agrees to fund them, and they can set their own criteria for people to get them, they don’t have to follow the nice guidelines. Partha Kar only seems to deal with type 1s and individual consultants so not sure he’s going to be interested or able to change the CCG guidelines in your area.

What insulins are you on and what criteria do you qualify under? Multiple daily injections doesn’t mean injecting twice per day.
I’m on humalog 3 times a day minimum and toujeo at night! I also work in environments that don’t slliw me to go finger pricks due to the non sterile and unhygienic areas. I got the inf mo from an article this website which was really clear hope this helps

I also work in environments that don’t slliw me to go finger pricks due to the non sterile and unhygienic areas.
I'm pretty sure that was in the older guidance for Type 1 use of Libre, but I don't see it (a suitable work-related criterion) in the advice for Type 2. I think that's probably inadvertent, and I'd hope doctors would argue for use if someone satisfied the main criterion of using multiple daily injections and (for work reasons) could not easily test using test strips but could using isCGM.

Regardless, you said your doctors agree that you qualify, which trumps all of our opinions.

Yeah work isn’t a criteria for T2, you need to either have severe hypos, hypo unawareness, or be advised to test 8+ times a day, or need help from a carer to test. If you’re trying to take it further, I’d think about which of those NICE guidelines you meet and reference that as well as your work, as if you only reference work whoever you’re speaking to may not think you meet the guidelines.

Adult with type 2 diabetes​

CGM and flash glucose monitor (Freestyle Libre)​

If you have type 2 diabetes and use insulin two or more times a day and live in England or Wales, you should be offered a Freestyle Libre to help you check your blood sugar levels if any of the below apply, say NICE guidelines.

• you have recurrent or severe hypoglycaemia
  • you have impaired hypoglycaemia awareness
  • you can't monitor your own blood sugar levels but you could use a scanning device or someone else could scan for you
  • you should otherwise be advised to do a finger prick test at least 8 times a day.
Adults with type 2 diabetes in England or Wales who use insulin and would otherwise need help from a care worker or healthcare professional to monitor their blood sugar should be offered a CGM.

If you have a learning disability and use insulin, you should be offered a flash glucose monitor (Freestyle Libre) say NICE guidelines for England and Wales.

In Scotland, national guidelines recommend people with type 2 diabetes who use insulin intensively (four or more injections per day).

from: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...echnology/cgm-flash-pump-who-qualifies-on-nhs

As above, unless you meet these criteria, then I am sorry but I do not think you are eligible for funding under current guidelines. I appreciate your GP has said differently, in which case I would ask for more information from them.

Sounds very frustrating for you @Traceyj53

Hope you can make progress with the support of your Drs who are saying you meet the criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back