Self funding and issues purchasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I self fund and have had no issues with purchasing a Libre 2. However I read somewhere, can't remember exactly where, that some people were finding it difficult to purchase sensors from pharmacies such as Boots or even directly from Abbotts.

Apparently the aforementioned have been told they can only supply to those who have prescription. Whilst I understand this those who can't get Libre 2 on prescription but want to use the sensors to keep an eye on one's time in range ( like myself) are in the middle discriminated against from both sides.

I have only ever purchased a Libre 2 from an Asda pharmacy. I purchased the Dexcom one starter pack directly from Dexcom unless there's another way.

So I am asking if anyone self funding has struggled to purchase.

Through luck I have a spare Dexcom one sensor and transmitter plus spare transmitter should I wish to use it.

The advantage of Libre 2 is it's a one off purchase. The disadvantage is having to scan.
Advantage of Dexcom One is no scanning. The sensors individually are cheaper than Libre 2. Disadvantage is you have to order directly from Dexcom

I don't struggle but I have always bought mine direct from Abbot website, and have done for about 4 years.

I don't struggle but I have always bought mine direct from Abbot website, and have done for about 4 years.
Neither have I. Buying direct I find difficult because delivery has to be when I am in so it's easier to purchase over the counter

Never had an issue. You definitely don’t need a prescription to purchase directly through abbot and no supply issues. You already have a dexcom if you want to use CGM though, but last time you asked if you should try CGM again I’m not sure if you responded on what action you planned to take based on the additional information. Apologies if I’m getting mixed up with someone else.

The number of people getting Libre/Dexcom on prescription has increased and the criteria have changed, including some people with T2. It may be worth asking. It is a while since I ordered Libre so can’t comment on availability.

Never had an issue. You definitely don’t need a prescription to purchase directly through abbot and no supply issues. You already have a dexcom if you want to use CGM though, but last time you asked if you should try CGM again I’m not sure if you responded on what action you planned to take based on the additional information. Apologies if I’m getting mixed up with someone else.
I try and eat healthily and low carbon whenever possible so.I would be doing nothing different.

The number of people getting Libre/Dexcom on prescription has increased and the criteria have changed, including some people with T2. It may be worth asking. It is a while since I ordered Libre so can’t comment on availability.
I'm type 2 but not on insulin just Dapagliflozin/Metformin and Alogliptin so unless the criteria includes type 2s not on insulin I won't be eligible.

My Dr's said that once those not on insulin were eligible for Libre 2 they would be in touch but I'm not holding my breath.

I try and eat healthily and low carbon whenever possible so.I would be doing nothing different.
If you’d do nothing different then there’s no point wasting your money, or the NHS money

If you’d do nothing different then there’s no point wasting your money, or the NHS money
Maybe I should have phrased that better.

BTW I know I am never likely to be eligible on the NHS and tbh I would feel under pressure to justify having it even though I pay NI too so why should I feel guilty for wanting something that helps me.

However I use that technology in my case I use the Time In Range, is my business especially if I pay . everyone manages their diabetes differently.

My post was about whether anyone self funding had issues getting sensors from local pharmacies or pharmacy outlets in supermarkets nothing else.

BTW I know I am never likely to be eligible on the NHS and tbh I would feel under pressure to justify having it even though I pay NI too so why should I feel guilty for wanting something that helps me.
If no decisions change as a result of using it then it’s making no difference to your diabetes control and risk of future complications, so it isn’t helping you. If it meant you could make more informed decisions, improve your blood sugars, or if it led to improved quality of life by increasing the activities etc you could do then that would mean it helped you.

Given the level of stress it causes you and the amount of time you spend debating whether you should use it, it probably adds to your stress levels and increases blood sugars if anything.

Apparently the aforementioned have been told they can only supply to those who have prescription
Back to the original question on the thread, Abbot had to recall a batch of sensors recently because of an accuracy issue, and I wonder if that’s caused a temporary supply issue. I can imagine pharmacies would prioritise those customers who need prescriptions fulfilling, over those who are buying over the counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back