Self-affirmation to improve wellbeing- a research participation opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurenmcmahon99

Relationship to Diabetes
HCP/Researcher
This project is being undertaken as part of an MSc in Health Psychology at the University of Manchester by student, Lauren McMahon.

Adults living with chronic conditions, like diabetes, are at a higher risk for poor wellbeing, including an increased risk for anxiety and depression on top of existing physical challenges. The purpose of this study is to investigate whether self-affirmation can be an effective technique to boost subjective wellbeing within this population, aiming to identify a suitable method to support mental wellbeing and improve quality of life.

Please see the advertisement below to ensure you are eligible to take part. You must also have access to a valid email address.

If you would be interested in taking part in this important research project, please contact the researcher with any questions or for further details at: lauren.mcmahon-2@postgrad.manchester.ac.uk

OR click this link to be taken directly to first part of the study (Please ensure you carefully read the participant information sheet and do not hesitate to contact the researcher with any queries or concerns) https://www.qualtrics.manchester.ac.uk/jfe/form/SV_0AOJmUYDhTajRXw

study advertisement.png

This study has been approved by @Josh DUK

Last edited:
Lauren, about 40-ish years ago a graphologist told me 'You have a very high opinion of yourself, which is not always shared by others' to which I replied with a hoot of laughter and said 'True - but that's their loss, not mine!'

I won't be taking part.

I have anxiety and ptsd because I am autistic and only became aware of that fairly recently so I have had a struggle for decades thinking I was a failing neurotypical person instead of recognising I was a pretty resilient autistic person living in a world set up for neurotypical people and doing quite well under the circumstances.

Ironically my mental health and wellbeing has improved massively since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Mainly because it meant I understood why I had been having uncomfortable symptoms and having that knowledge meant I was in a position to sort it out by making informed choices. I did make those choices and now I am happier and healthier and controlling my blood sugars by food choices and lifestyle choices such as breathing exercises, meditation and increasing my physical activity.

I think my version of being autistic means I am better able to cope with being diabetic. In fact I enjoy it and consider myself extremely lucky to have been diagnosed and then discovering a whole new way of eating that I enjoy far more than I ever did prior to diagnosis.

I have anxiety and ptsd because I am autistic and only became aware of that fairly recently so I have had a struggle for decades thinking I was a failing neurotypical person instead of recognising I was a pretty resilient autistic person living in a world set up for neurotypical people and doing quite well under the circumstances.

Ironically my mental health and wellbeing has improved massively since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Mainly because it meant I understood why I had been having uncomfortable symptoms and having that knowledge meant I was in a position to sort it out by making informed choices. I did make those choices and now I am happier and healthier and controlling my blood sugars by food choices and lifestyle choices such as breathing exercises, meditation and increasing my physical activity.

I think my version of being autistic means I am better able to cope with being diabetic. In fact I enjoy it and consider myself extremely lucky to have been diagnosed and then discovering a whole new way of eating that I enjoy far more than I ever did prior to diagnosis.
Hi,

That's great! It's good to hear that your wellbeing has improved and that you seem to be doing really well! It isn't necessarily the case that everyone's wellbeing is going to decline due to having a chronic illness, there's just some research indicating that it puts people at a higher risk. But in all, this is what my study is looking to investigate. If I find that most people don't report having poor mental wellbeing then that's something I can discuss too! Please don't let this put you off taking part as I would still appreciate an insight into your personal experience, whether that it positive or negative.

Lauren, about 40-ish years ago a graphologist told me 'You have a very high opinion of yourself, which is not always shared by others' to which I replied with a hoot of laughter and said 'True - but that's their loss, not mine!'

I won't be taking part.
Hi, that's fine. There's no obligation for anyone to take part.

I won't be taking part.

Hehe! I’m not sure everyone has your inbuilt levels of self-affirmation TW

Living with diabetes is unfortunately associated with increased risk of depression, burnout, eating disorders, and other MH challenges.

Hang on tight to that self-belief :D

Gosh - bit overdramatic - I might admit to a lifelong condition - but lifelong illness?
I think that Trophywench and Notworriedatall share the same attitude with me - I'm not living with it, it is having to try to coexist with me, but it can leave any time it likes, and kindly shut the door quietly on the way out.

Gosh - bit overdramatic - I might admit to a lifelong condition - but lifelong illness?
I think that Trophywench and Notworriedatall share the same attitude with me - I'm not living with it, it is having to try to coexist with me, but it can leave any time it likes, and kindly shut the door quietly on the way out.

Hi, thank you for your feedback. I've amended this and will ensure to refer to conditions rather than illnesses, I completely agree this is poor wording with negative connotations. You can still complete the study if you don't believe your mental wellbeing has been negatively affected, it will be useful to gather and interpret both positive and negative experiences in my study!

I wonder if approaching the forum for participants might skew your data slightly compared to the general population.

Most of the people who visit the forum and become regular members do so for information and support or to pay forward what they have gained from the forum. They usually want knowledge and guidance and a bit of hope, so that they can take control and manage their condition well. Most are probably quite self motivated and will be successful in making improvement and that will increase their self affirmation and confidence. We see lots of posts from members who have achieved brilliant results here and are rightly very proud of their achievement and determined to maintain it and often feel fitter and healthier as a result of the changes they have made. Self help and peer help is very empowering.
Sadly there are a lot of people who don't want to change or don't know about the forum and don't get the appropriate advice and support. I would imagine there is more of an issue with depression and anxiety in that demographic.

I certainly feel that my diagnosis has been a positive turning point in my life and that I may actually live longer and be healthier as a result, rather than it being life limiting. Yes it is frustrating sometimes and perhaps at some stage 5 or 10 years down the road I might suffer burnout but thanks to the wonderful people here on the forum I currently feel very confident in managing my condition well and if I do hit a brick wall, there are people here who have been through it and come out the other side to support, guide and inspire me.

Hi,

That's great! It's good to hear that your wellbeing has improved and that you seem to be doing really well! It isn't necessarily the case that everyone's wellbeing is going to decline due to having a chronic illness, there's just some research indicating that it puts people at a higher risk. But in all, this is what my study is looking to investigate. If I find that most people don't report having poor mental wellbeing then that's something I can discuss too! Please don't let this put you off taking part as I would still appreciate an insight into your personal experience, whether that it positive or negative.
It says it is for people not clinically diagnosed with a mental health problem. I have social anxiety and have meds to take if I have to interact with people socially. I don't interact with people socially if I can avoid it so I don't take the meds often but going by the criteria stated I am not eligible to participate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back