Seems strange...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwynn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had real problems with my eyesight due to cataracts. Went to the opticians who referred me immediately to the NHS. Op sorted in very short order. Eyes sorted. All good.

I have real problems with my hearing from Tinnitus and worsening deafness. I decided I had had enough of not being able to hear what people say. I went to Specsavers who do hearing stuff who told me that to get a hearing test and perhaps a hearing aid I had to first go through my GP and then back to them for a test presumably then a referral back to the NHS (but I don't know, yet). The exact opposite process from that for eyes.

Strange.

Anyway I rang the GP. Horrible music. Boring messages. Very long wait in the queue. Receptionist was good but I cannot see a GP. First I have to see a nurse to get a general check of my ears. Seems sensible but long winded. Surely the 'opticians doing hearing stuff' can check my ears just as well as a nurse.

They could make the process so much easier and better and less costly.

In the end I got an appointment with the nurse for 7th April 9:30am. So we will see how that goes

Rant over

Is it because everyone pays for eye tests unless specific reasons like diabetes, and everyone pays for glasses unless have a discount voucher? By going thorough the GP will you pay for the hearing test and hearing aid or will it be free on NHS?

I have got bad tinnitus and can come over as being a bit deaf. Trouble is that I am not deaf in the normal sense, my hearing acuity is very good when the standard tests are done. The problem is that the tinnitus seems to make it very difficult for me to separate out and concentrate on a single sound source when other noises are going on. Simplest example is that I cannot hold any sort of conversation if there is background "music" being played in a cafe or a shop. I keep on asking people to repeat stuff, not because I am deaf but because I cannot make out what they are saying over what is to anybody else an insignificant background noise.

The upshot is that I suggest you leave it to the experts to try and get to the bottom of things rather than go to somebody who's primary motivation is to sell you a hearing aid!

@Docb it's not just tinnitus sufferers who have difficulty with background music! My hearing is pretty good and I have no tinnitus, that I'm aware of; but the trend in pubs and restaurants to play music and deliberately turn it up when the room is filling up, is infuriating and downright rude. I often ask for it to be turned down and frequently told that their customers like it loud. It's rare that I return to such places.

We're both trustees of a local charity of which both the chairman and secretary have been profoundly deaf since their youth and both have all singing all dancing hearing aids courtesy of the NHS - so if you need them you'll get them of the absolutely correct and latest type. Brian made us laugh cos he was due new ones, so went to the hospital to have the impressions made for the bits that fit right into his ears - only to find he had too much wax in his ears to take the impressions - so he then had to make an appt at Specsavers to have the wax removed , before going back to the hospital for the impressions and the new aids made. It's potty - why they can't just do it - and of course expect you to pay cos you have to pay Specsavers to do it for you - why on earth can't the NHS still do it - and charge for it - and save everyone's time?

Anyway, committee meetings are fun, as they both hear better when you face them and they can see your mouth! - try doing that with 7 people ...

The reason for Soecsavers request your seeing the GP is that there are around twenty or thirty possible causes of tinnitus (including diabetes) and they are wary of missing something that a doctor could pick up.

Acoustic neuromas can do it (they are a benign tumour) as can other brain tumours that are less desirable. Thyroid disorders can cause it. As can drinking alcohol, taking Aspirin or NSAID. Atherosclerosis can cause tinnitus. And, of course, exposure to loud industrial noise, or listenening to loud music using headphones.

I noticed reduced hearing and tinnitus temporarily after a Ted Nugent concert while at Uni, but do that too often and you’ll get the permanent version. (One of Ted Nugent’s bands had the name Hear ‘n Aid)

Is it any wonder that Specsavers want you checked out by a GP?

Thanks for your replies. I will track what happens with interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back