Seeing DSN for the first time in 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillsb

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Haven't seen a DSN for 2 years. My daughter diagnosed Mach 2007 last saw her nurse at end of 2007 and she was great. Heard that she had left but was never given a replacement.

I guess I should have shouted louder but not sure who to and as things were going "ok" we just got on with it.

Having not been too well myself recently I ended up pouring my heart out to my GP who was amazed we weren't getting any support and suddenly we have been asked to see a nurse today so wish us luck.

Only been on this sight a week or so and already realise we need to know so much. We have never been told about carb counting or correction doses so they are first on my list. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Why do I feel like I am waiting to sit an exam?

Gill (mum to 14 years old diagnosed mch 07)

Gill, excellent that you have the appointment - appalling that you haven't been followed up for so long when you have a relatively newly-diagnosed child to take care of. That is terrible! But the good news is that you will now get to learn the stuff you should have been taught back then. Think of it as a gift, not as an exam, because I'm sure it will make such a difference toy your and your daughter's flexibility with food and activitiy and lifestyle.

The other parents here are better placed to advise what questions you should ask. If you can get hold of a copy of Ragnar Hanas' book 'Type 1 Diabetes in Children and Young Adults' that will be a very useful tool in your toolbox. There is a new version coming out in Novemeber so you might want to wait till then rather than buying an older edition now, but it's something you should own as it covers EVERY aspect of treating and living with Type 1 in a very approachable way.

Good luck with today!🙂

hi Gill great news on appointment as northener said thats appauling you waited so long with a child, i hope it goes well wish you good luck , xx

Gill,

Just wanted to wish you both good luck for the appointment - dont be worried - use it to your advantage - thats what its for. I hope you get some answers to your questions and hopefully build up a good relationship with the team. Let us know how it goes.🙂Bev

Welcome Gill,

Good that you have an appointment witht he DSN. I assume you are being followed up with the consultant?

I had a period from about 16-21 where I didn't have a DSN, I think they just didn't think I needed any input from them (which maybe I didn't) but now I love my DSN and think that relationship is really important.

Hi Gill, good luck with your appointment, but what a shame it took you 'baring your soul' to your GP before you've had any kind of follow-up for your daughter. I felt 'abandoned' after diagnosis for 5 weeks, and that made me miserable enough, but two years?? sheeeeeesh!!

xx

Pleased to say appointment was great. My original DSN is now back from long term sick leave even though we had been told she had left. It was great just chatting about my concerns and she is so practical about diabetes in teenagers and the ups and downs it brings. I think I had just lost confidence in the way we were doing things but now feel so much better.

Seeing her again myself in December as I think I probably need the support at the moment. The kids have us to vent their anger on when things aren't going too well and we need somebody too.

Thanks everyone for your messages of support, I feel sooooooo much better.

Pleased to say appointment was great. My original DSN is now back from long term sick leave even though we had been told she had left. It was great just chatting about my concerns and she is so practical about diabetes in teenagers and the ups and downs it brings. I think I had just lost confidence in the way we were doing things but now feel so much better.

Seeing her again myself in December as I think I probably need the support at the moment. The kids have us to vent their anger on when things aren't going too well and we need somebody too.

Excellent news Gill, glad to hear things went well! And if you can't wait until December, you can always come here for a good old rant!😉

hey gill so pleased it went well for you , as northener said come in here wayyyy before december and we will be there when you need us x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back