Security Gates and sensors

Abseil

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi, I am using Freestyle Libre 2 sensors.
Can anyone advise what to do at airport security please? I asked Abbot but the answer I got was a little confusing.
I recently went to the NEC and they asked me to go around the gate. So my questions are…
1. Should I avoid going through the scanner gate?
2. Should my spare sensor go through the bag scanner?
3. Do I need any paperwork to support this and my insulin pens? (I have already got a letter covering another medication pen that I carry)?
Any advice appreciated.
TIA

You can get a letter from your clinic I just show them. They don’t like them going through x ray personally never had any problem if they are a pump have but best to air on the side of caution. Your pump and spare sensors should not go through x ray either.

Never had a problem with libre travelling. I've never been asked about them either. I think most security staff are aware of them these days, unless you're going off the beaten track.

My CGMs have been through airport security many many times with no problem.
They have been in my arm and spare ones on the belt to be x-rayed.

The following link has a clear thorough section on travelling with diabetes tech

The advice in this article seems to be "check with the manufacturer" and "check with the airport".

My understanding (and experience) so far has been that my spare sensors are unaffected by hand-luggage xray belt, and metal gateway/arch

But that device manufacturers (especially of insulin pumps) are more cautious about full body scanners which I think are a bit beefier.

I always ask politely for a pat-down / swab and have always apologised for being the weird person of the shift. I also acknowledge that security staff have a tough job, and they’ll have seen many people with medical devices just go through all the scanners without incident.

I suspect it’s really just that it isn’t viable for the device manufacturers to properly safety test all brands of scanners currently on the market worldwide (and update that with every new scanner that goes on the market) so it’s easier for them to just say there’s a theoretical risk, and don’t go through.

Having said that, I also don’t want to find out at 35,000 feet with hours of flight ahead that my insulin delivery device has been fried!

Yes, both my libre(s) and my omnipod(s) on me and in my bag have been through the scanners, but I don't think they should, and it does worry me that I will ruin all of my kit and then have a horrible time on my holiday. Never had issues before but it is at the back of my mind.

For me, there is a huge difference between the risks I am willing to take for my pump and my CGM.
I have been happy to take a CGM through the body scanner but always gently push back when suggested I take my pump through one.
I was told the metal detector arch is fine for both.

Back