second blood test results are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

janw

Much Missed Member.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I received a print out in the post and I've checked what it says online in my records too. I don't get to see DN for another couple of weeks - and I have a couple of questions I want answering, but .... these are the results from online.
Am I right in thinking this is a pretty decent result?
Test resultGLYCOSYLATED HAEMOGLOBIN Report, Satisfactory, No Further Action
Coded entryHaemoglobin A1c level - IFCC standardised (XaPbt) 48 mmol/mol [20 - 41]
Coded entryHaemoglobin A1c level (X772q) 6.5 % [4 - 5.9]

A Hba1c of 48 is just in the diabetes range - prediabetes is 42 to 47, the top of normal is 41.
You should not have much trouble in reducing to normal levels with a few changes in diet or increased activity levels, being as close as that.

I received a print out in the post and I've checked what it says online in my records too. I don't get to see DN for another couple of weeks - and I have a couple of questions I want answering, but .... these are the results from online.
Coded entryHaemoglobin A1c level - IFCC standardised (XaPbt) 48 mmol/mol [20 - 41]
I may be sounding pessimistic but by saying Satisfactory, No further action, when the level at 48mmol/mol is still on the first rung of the diabetes ladder.
It lulls you into a false sense of security when realistically you should be trying to get your level into normal range of below 42 mmol/mol.
I assume this new HbA1C is showing a decrease for the first test so whatever you have been doing has been working for you so you should not let up the effort and try to achieve that 42mmol/mol. Well done for the effort you have made.

This is my first bloods result below, it has gone down from 57 to 48 and 7.4% to 6.5% - I am using diet and lifestyle changes only, so I presume the "no further action" will be to continue as I am, no meds.
GLYCOSYLATED HAEMOGLOBIN
Haemoglobin A1c level 7.4 % [4.0 - 5.9]
Above high reference limit
Haemoglobin A1c level - IFCC standardised 57 mmol/mol [20.0 - 41.0]
HbA1c => 48 mmol/mol is diagnostic of Diabetes

This is my first bloods result below, it has gone down from 57 to 48 and 7.4% to 6.5% - I am using diet and lifestyle changes only, so I presume the "no further action" will be to continue as I am, no meds.
GLYCOSYLATED HAEMOGLOBIN
Haemoglobin A1c level 7.4 % [4.0 - 5.9]
Haemoglobin A1c level - IFCC standardised 57 mmol/mol [20.0 - 41.0]
HbA1c => 48 mmol/mol is diagnostic of Diabetes
Absolutely, doing what you have been doing, you should continue to see a steady decrease to your target of below 42mmol/mol. It is better to bring things down slowly to prevent any nerve or eye issues. You are lucky to have been given the opportunity for life style changes without meds.

I happily went on Metformin, and resisted the suggestion it was stopped after I reversed my diabetes for quite a while.
It seems it has many other beneficial effects, as well as lowering BG intially.
Definitely BG should be lowered slowly though.

Ah - I thought it was a second test to confirm diabetes - when it is borderline two tests are done fairly close together.
As you are already reducing your levels it is just a matter of keeping going the same way and giving it time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back