Sciatica

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Anyone had this & how did you deal with it.

Been ongoing for few months, prescribed codeine for pain & also took ibuprofen, Dr suggested physio but waiting list is long.

Been doing strecthing exercises which has helped but it doesn't want to go away.

Been ongoing for few months, prescribed codeine for pain & also took ibuprofen, Dr suggested physio but waiting list is long.

Been doing strecthing exercises which has helped but it doesn't want to go away.
I had sciatica which was caused by a trapped nerve and had some chiropractic treatment which was magic. I know it doesn't suit everyone and can be quite expensive.
I am having private physio for my knee which is £46 per session which is about 45 mins treatment.

I don't have Sciatica but I have long term back problems that I see a Chiropractor and Sports Massage Therapist. I see them regularly.

I have had bouts of it over the years, some of them where I could hardly move without excruciating pain, others where I had to move as sitting still was agony. Some where it was a dull niggle for days/weeks.
Amatryptaline is helpful if it is caused by muscle spasm.
Walking helps me if it is something a bit out of alignment.
Osteopath if it is something seriously out of alignment.

Oh dear. I first had sciatic when I was 19 and then on and off until I slipped my disc and everything popped back in. Very weird. One thing that made it worse was walking the dog, he wasn’t good at walking to heel and he would jerk the lead. I would suggest keep moving but cautiously, no sudden movements if possible. I used a TENS machine at one stage. Ive had NHS physio but didn’t help, the best thing I ever did was go to an osteopath. Warwick Square osteopaths are brilliant, it’ll be about £50 for your first session then £30 after that. They may even do acupuncture at some stage. It’ll take a few sessions and you may feel worse before you get better.
Has the doc offered amitriptyline ( not sure I’ve spelt that right)? It can help but can cause you to be a bit spaced out. The codeine will bung you up, even though you’re a Creonista!
Hope you get sorted there’s nowt worse.

Yes, I have had acupuncture through the osteopath for it too and it has previously taken 3-4 visits to fix.
Nothing worse than being constipated and having to "strain" when you have sciatica! Actually there have been a couple of occasions when I have had mild sciatica as a result of constipation.

Thank you, might try chiropractor rather than wait on physio appointment.

Leadinglight, some years since used one but last time it was £15 for hour, guess £46 will be going rate now.

Rebrascora, do fair amount of walking being dog owner, some days sciatica pain can be worse than others but hasn't stopped me getting out & about.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you’ve been experiencing sciatica @nonethewiser :(

I had a bout or two several years back and along with stretching and posture exercises, I found relief in a tip that was given to my wife when she was pregnant, which was to stand on the bottom step of the stairs and let your other leg dangle.

Seemed to help to take the pressure off?

Oh dear. I first had sciatic when I was 19 and then on and off until I slipped my disc and everything popped back in. Very weird. One thing that made it worse was walking the dog, he wasn’t good at walking to heel and he would jerk the lead. I would suggest keep moving but cautiously, no sudden movements if possible. I used a TENS machine at one stage. Ive had NHS physio but didn’t help, the best thing I ever did was go to an osteopath. Warwick Square osteopaths are brilliant, it’ll be about £50 for your first session then £30 after that. They may even do acupuncture at some stage. It’ll take a few sessions and you may feel worse before you get better.
Has the doc offered amitriptyline ( not sure I’ve spelt that right)? It can help but can cause you to be a bit spaced out. The codeine will bung you up, even though you’re a Creonista!
Hope you get sorted there’s nowt worse.

Don't fair well on amitriptylune eggyg, £30 thereafter is doable so might give them a ring.

Pain starts in bum then spreads down leg, so far it's not affected back. Thanks again everyone.

I had a bout or two several years back and along with stretching and posture exercises, I found relief in a tip that was given to my wife when she was pregnant, which was to stand on the bottom step of the stairs and let your other leg dangle.

Will give that a go, nothing lost trying.

I had it really bad when I was pregnant. It’s a terrible thing. Wish I had known that tip.

I don’t think ibuprofen helps with nerve pain and will risk issues with lining of the stomach. I get flares and stretching helps along with nerve drug like amtriptylne (there are other drugs if this doesn’t suit), always found though better to keep moving when it’s bad.

TENs machine might help with the nerve pain aspect? To block the pain signals.

A heat pad helps too. I find that any pain like that makes the surrounding muscles tense up a lot even though I’m trying to relax. A 12 hr heat pad helps relax the surrounding area and is soothing too.

I got sciatica with my second pregnancy. I was told to lie on my back with my knees up and feet on the floor and carefully and slowly turn my hips and legs (ie not my whole body) to each side and rest their a while. It did help and it suddenly seemed to free itself.

Another one is to hang from something eg a door frame, high bar, etc, let your weight pull your body down and then carefully turn your hips as above if needed. Obviously I didn’t try this one when pregnant, but a relative did and said it helped her.

A heat pad helps too. I find that any pain like that makes the surrounding muscles tense up a lot even though I’m trying to relax. A 12 hr heat pad helps relax the surrounding area and is soothing too.

I got sciatica with my second pregnancy. I was told to lie on my back with my knees up and feet on the floor and carefully and slowly turn my hips and legs (ie not my whole body) to each side and rest their a while. It did help and it suddenly seemed to free itself.

Another one is to hang from something eg a door frame, high bar, etc, let your weight pull your body down and then carefully turn your hips as above if needed. Obviously I didn’t try this one when pregnant, but a relative did and said it helped her.

Been using hot water bottle Inka, also doing that exercise you mention about bring knees up & turning to side, that & bending knees up & crossing one leg over other then pulling back on it, got it from NHS website.

Don't think bar doorframe thing is doable, would collapse in heap, will continue with exercises whilst using TENs machine for few weeks to see how things go. Thanks for reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back