School is struggling to supervise my daughter's diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
THE worried mum of a six-year-old girl with diabetes is calling for more steps to be taken to help school staff cope with her daughter’s medical needs.

Lily Smethurst has type 1 diabetes, a complex condition that needs monitoring throughout the day.

Mum Julie Smethurst said that staff at Kearsley West Primary School are struggling to supervise Lily’s diabetes and should be given more support.

She claims that, on too many occasions, her daughter’s blood sugar levels fall “dangerously” low, causing her to have to go into school to treat Lily.

Mrs Smethurst, aged 46 of Longcauseway, Farnworth, said: “The school and staff have done their upmost to manage Lily’s diabetes, but it just is not working.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news...uggling_to_supervise_my_daughter_s_diabetes_/

??? Why on earth should the Mum be called into school to treat a hypo? The poor child could be unconscious by then! What exactly is the problem with school staff not being able to treat hypos by giving the child something sugary. I don't see that this school deserves any praise at all if they can't do something so basic!

??? Why on earth should the Mum be called into school to treat a hypo? The poor child could be unconscious by then! What exactly is the problem with school staff not being able to treat hypos by giving the child something sugary. I don't see that this school deserves any praise at all if they can't do something so basic!

Surely the reporters have got something wrong? :confused:

If the child is prone to hypos then surely the school staff should have got used to dealing with them by now? This all seems a bit strange!

My daughter has now done 2 years at school with D, just started with 3rd new teacher since dx. There is also another little girl just started in Reception who is also T1 and with the same pump that my daughter has got. So far I have to say that all the staff who have dealt with either my daughter or the new girl seem to have accepted that it's something that just has to be dealt with and they've done their best and got on with it. Yes there is a learning curve but they usually get the hang of it fairly quickly.

Daughter had first hypo in new teacher's class in the first Thursday back, it sounds like it was just dealt with without fuss, which I'm well impressed with, I didn't even get a phone call or any message to say that anything had happened! It was one of those that took a little longer than normal before she felt better so the teacher decided that she'd better not do PE. Daughter was well pleased about that, as they were doing football, which she hates with a vengeance and had been complaining loudly about not wanting to do it. So if ever there was such a thing as the perfectly timed hypo, that was the one :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back