School attendance issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoppy5

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My T1 child has missed some school because of illness, it seems to take longer to recover these days since being diagnosed, he does not bounce back as quick as he used to do. he had a heavy cold recently and it took a week for him to be well enough to go to school, as on top of the cold it played havoc with glucose levels.
Before xmas he had strep throat and was very poorly and on antibiotocs.
He also has developed stomach cramps which 3 separate doctors and the diabetic nurse have said is a complication of the Diabetes.
We had a letter and a meeting last week with the school attendance officer from the local authority, and now they will not be authorising any absences unless I provide 'evidence' to prove it is a genuine absence. We are now waiting for an appointment for a scan of his abdomen.
What do i do now? any advice, other than just let them take me to court and make them look ridiculous in court?

My T1 child has missed some school because of illness, it seems to take longer to recover these days since being diagnosed, he does not bounce back as quick as he used to do. he had a heavy cold recently and it took a week for him to be well enough to go to school, as on top of the cold it played havoc with glucose levels.
Before xmas he had strep throat and was very poorly and on antibiotocs.
He also has developed stomach cramps which 3 separate doctors and the diabetic nurse have said is a complication of the Diabetes.
We had a letter and a meeting last week with the school attendance officer from the local authority, and now they will not be authorising any absences unless I provide 'evidence' to prove it is a genuine absence. We are now waiting for an appointment for a scan of his abdomen.
What do i do now? any advice, other than just let them take me to court and make them look ridiculous in court?
You may find the Diabetes UK help line may be able to advice you if you call them in the morning. Diabetes is covered by the disability discrimination legislation.

Wow after 58 years on insulin, that's the first time I have heard this.

Once your son's blood sugars are under better control/management (takes time as a steep learning curve) things will improve regarding illness recovery. In theory he shouldn't be away any longer than a person without diabetes.

In the early period after diagnosis it takes a bit of time to get to grips with managing illness.
Once you are able to manage your child’s levels during illness this should help with his recovery.
Antibiotics can also play havoc with doses of insulin needed.

Apart from ‘normal’ illnesses, your son should have any diabetes appointments counted as approved absences. Copies of any letters would show this and perhaps include a copy of these with absence notes. Planning ahead can help so if you know in good time when an appointment is, your son could find out what work he is going to miss so that he can ensure that he keeps up, in spite of appointments. In the ealry days there are likely to be more appointments but these should settle down as you all learn more about making adjustments to his insulin.

Do call DUK help line if you have concerns as they will be used to dealing with this.

Oh my, what a worry for you. Sending you big hugs and hoping things settle down and school can be empathic. It’s nobody’s fault least of all your child’s. Things will get better xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back