scary low

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
helllooooo everyone!

Well I'm visiting the parents for a few days and this morning rushed off to devizes for a dentist appt after having a good breakfast and good sugar levels. Get to the dentist after rushing around town with my new camera (early 21st bday present!) andtaking pictures (if you wanna see they're here http://www.flickr.com/photos/salmonpuff/sets/72157621593922346/) but anyway, get into the dentist and go into the loo to do my 2 hour after breakfast check and its down at 1.1...and I didn't even notice 😱 I'm guessing its probably because i was too excited about the new camera or was just too busy to notice. But after seeing that and realising i hadn't got anything on me to munch on, and that I had to go and sit in the dentist, thats when it hit me - spinny head, shaking, blurred vision. I mumbled something to the receptionist after getting out and stumbled my way through town to boots where i got some more glucotabs and a mars bar, quickly shioved them down my throat and ran back to the bus - checked again and 3.2. It was pretty scary, i don't think I've ever been that low and I'm wondering if maybe i had too much insulin this morning? Lows are happening way too much at the moment, I'm considering lowering my doses but whatever i do right now i can't win - i lower it and i go high, i leave it the same i still go through the floor :confused:

but its fine now, this one picked up quickly thankfully. I'm worried about sunday as im off to the fairford air show and that will be a busy day. I don't want to go low like that there...scary times.

Wowser!!! Scary stuff Salmon!

You did well to operate and get to boots! Please take stuff with you where ever you're going if you're having difficulty with your control at the mo.

I've never been in the 1's I'm screwed at low 3's/2's so god knows what I would have done!!

Are you loosing hypo awareness??

Glad you're okay tho.

PS Great photos!

most of the time I'm fine recognising hypos - with this one i didn't though cuz i was zooming around town with the camera which is wierd, get to the dentist and check and then stumble around like a drunk person 😱 its wierd. I guess with this one i only noticed because i'd stopped.

But to be honest with you, I think I am starting to loose awareness slightly. Is this because I'm constantly running on the low side? Maybe lowering doses and running slightly higher for a while would help that?

Maybe I should phone the DSN and see her next week because I'm a bit scared.

Usually I do carry stuff with me - its jut today i rushed out of the house and left my glucotabs on the bedside table 😱 I'm very surprised I made it to boots to be honest with you - it was all blurry!

and thanks! Those were just to test out the camera and some not up on flickr are aweful! I'll be taking some at fairford on sunday too which is awesome! Yay for new camera!

I hear you.

We all mean to do things perfect but there will always be days where we are caught out.

Chatting to your dsn can't be wrong, and maybe running a bit higher wouldn't be bad, then try and drop it back down but not down to 1.1!!!!!

Not sure about how to reverse hypo awareness loss though?!

Take care of yourself girl!

Glad yu were able to get the hypo sorted.

I always carry something with me, and a couple of times have helped out those who have needed it

Glad you're ok now. I would definately speak with your DSN if you think you're losing awareness, that's very low to go even with all the rushing around. Although most meters aren't as accurate for very low levels so it may be you weren't quite as low as it said, low enough though! It will often be that if you're losing awareness they like you to run higher for a while to start getting it back.
Good luck!

Hi Sam, glad to hear you got it sorted - but please carry something with you in future, especially as your levels and awareness are uncertain at the moment.

In your situation I would have asked at the dentists for something sweet (yes, I know it's not the place where you might expect to find sweets!). They may have been able to give you some sugar in water that they keep for making their tea, or may have had snacks of their own. Also, you would have been somewhere that would be geared up to prompt medical action if you'd conked out.

But you probably weren't being too rational with levels that low, which I can perfectly understand!😱

Hiya Hun...

Please carry something with you...even a Hypostop in your bag......and remember your medi tag.....sorry if I sound like a mam...its not meant in that way..xx

You did excellent to manage to get to boots etc..well done

Does the Dentist know you are Type 1...it is just that Nathan's dentist has glucotabs in his surgery to deal with any potential patients who have hypo's...I gave them to him....

As Northerner says...I'm sure the surgery would have sugar or biscuits to help you.

Take care

Heidi
xx🙂

Hi Sam , I hope you are feeling better now honey , you need to carry something with you all the time !!! 😱😱 anyway Im glad you got your new camera ! have a good time at your parents !! get spoilt lol :D

Sam, sorry you felt awful - but you really need to start carrying your glucose etc around with you! You didnt have any in the house the other weekend! I know i am nagging you - but if you try to get into the habit of it - it wont seem so bad! Buy yourself a nice handbag with a pocket for the hypo stuff - good excuse to go shopping!:D I am sure your parents would treat you to one!:D
Have a nice time at Fairford - Alex is going tomorrow - just hope it doesnt rain to much!😱Bev

Please carry something with you...even a Hypostop in your bag......and remember your medi tag.....sorry if I sound like a mam...its not meant in that way..xx

Does the Dentist know you are Type 1...it is just that Nathan's dentist has glucotabs in his surgery to deal with any potential patients who have hypo's...I gave them to him....

hi heidi - I feel like such an idiot for rushing out without anything. Routing through my bag was horrible, especially finding nothing. I think I'll get a pack of glucotabs to keep in my handbag from now on!

It was a new dentist I saw today, so I'm not sure if he did know. But I would have thought it would have been on my records...

As for a meditag, I don't have one at the moment mainly as I lost it years ago. But I'm going to town tomorrow as my nan has ordered that I get a piece of jewellery for my birthday from her - and what better than a medi tag eh?

Glad you're ok now. I would definately speak with your DSN if you think you're losing awareness, that's very low to go even with all the rushing around. Although most meters aren't as accurate for very low levels so it may be you weren't quite as low as it said, low enough though! It will often be that if you're losing awareness they like you to run higher for a while to start getting it back.
Good luck!

Aye, I was thinking maybe running a bit higher for a while but i think talking to the dsn about it first would be the best idea. I think I might wait til I get back to winchester to phone though, just because it'll be easier if she wants me to go and see her/come and see me. I think for the next couple of days I might lower my dose a little and see if that helps.

Sam, sorry you felt awful - but you really need to start carrying your glucose etc around with you! You didnt have any in the house the other weekend! I know i am nagging you - but if you try to get into the habit of it - it wont seem so bad! Buy yourself a nice handbag with a pocket for the hypo stuff - good excuse to go shopping!:D I am sure your parents would treat you to one!:D
Have a nice time at Fairford - Alex is going tomorrow - just hope it doesnt rain to much!😱Bev

dont worry about nagging bev, i need it haha. I have started buying supplies for myself, it just sucks when I run out of the house thinking they're in there and they're not! I'll definitely keep something in my bag from now on - i think I'll clear it out later and have a little pocket at the back just for hypo supplies!
:D
oh i hope Alex has fun! Fairford is always fantastic - and a brill opportunities for photos!

hi heidi - I feel like such an idiot for rushing out without anything. Routing through my bag was horrible, especially finding nothing. I think I'll get a pack of glucotabs to keep in my handbag from now on!

It was a new dentist I saw today, so I'm not sure if he did know. But I would have thought it would have been on my records...

As for a meditag, I don't have one at the moment mainly as I lost it years ago. But I'm going to town tomorrow as my nan has ordered that I get a piece of jewellery for my birthday from her - and what better than a medi tag eh?

Hi Hun....

Please dont feel an idiot....hey we all been in situations like that...🙂...
I can only imagine how you must have felt when you reached into your bag and could'nt find anything...
Glucotabs come in raspberry and orange flavour...And think I am right in saying that you can get them on prescription.
I'm not sure if it would be on your dentist records..I remember me having to tell Nathans dentist he had been diagnosed as diabetic.
Bless your nan.....she will be made up with your coice😉

As someone mentioned as well...you should discuss your recent hypo's with your DSN

Take care..hope you feeling a bit better

Heidi
xx🙂

glad to hear it was sorted i cant really add to what has been said x

Sorry to hear about that sam, eek! did you sit through the appointment whilst that low??
It's impossible to have stuff on you alllll the time, you are bound to run out or forget it at some point, so dont beat yourself up about it!

I really like your photos! I have flickr too: http://www.flickr.com/photos/asecretcodecarved/
Ive only just got my camera, it's a film one and i'm not very good at it yet. Yes those ones of the band did go wrong (I changed the film whilst drunk & in the dark 😉).

i diiiiiiiiid, it was like something out of the twilight zone, all blurry and i had no idea what was going on 😱 i know right, i may have run out at home before but usually i always have something in my bag like glucotabs or biscuits or something but today? Just rushed out. Not good!

ooooh a film SLR?! I have a film SLR but not used it in yonks. I might have to poke around the attic while I'm home and scan in some of my negatives! Your pics are good too, i LOVE live music photography! Have added you as a contact, hope you dont mind :D

i diiiiiiiiid, it was like something out of the twilight zone, all blurry and i had no idea what was going on 😱 i know right, i may have run out at home before but usually i always have something in my bag like glucotabs or biscuits or something but today? Just rushed out. Not good!

ooooh a film SLR?! I have a film SLR but not used it in yonks. I might have to poke around the attic while I'm home and scan in some of my negatives! Your pics are good too, i LOVE live music photography! Have added you as a contact, hope you dont mind

Wow, Im surprised no one asked if you were ok! I would have been sweating, eew.

Yeah a film SLR, I love how film photographs look 🙂 (and also I cant afford a digital SLR right now 😉). Hehe glad you like my mistakes! That is my brother's band. Of course I don't mind :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back