Status
Not open for further replies.

jake0703

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi,

After reading the forums, I decided to get myself a monitor - a GlucoNavii. The reason for this - I was diagnosed in July 2023, and was originally on a 3 month diabetic review, which I had in December. My reading went down from 86 to 53, so my nurse has put me on a 6 monthly review. I am on two Metformin a day and have done my latest reading which has come out at 10.3 mmol/l - which when I investigate, seems to be far too high (according to what I read). I see that there are different charts depending upon whether you are in the UK or US - but I don't know what should be a good level. I am worried that I am doing damage to myself and by the time I go back for my next review my levels will be sky high. I don't understand all the technical jargon..... can anyone point me in the direction of a simple guide for beginners????

Thanks Jackie

People can get freaked out when they take random readings as your level will depend very much on when you test.
Testing just before you eat your aim is to be in that 4-7mmol/l range, however the nearer the top of that the effect of the carbs you eat will be more likely to increase your level to above the suggested no more than 8.5 mmol/l after 2 hours unless you have a very low carb meal.
The increase from your meal to aim at is 2-3mmol/l after 2 hours. Obviously if you test 1 hour after eating then the level is likely to be much higher.
Blood glucose goes up and down during the day and night mostly in response to what you eat and drink but also how active or inactive you are, stress or feeling unwell can also affect it. It is better to look for trends rather than individual readings.
As a matter of interest when was the 10.3mmol/l in relation to when you ate and what did you eat.

People can get freaked out when they take random readings as your level will depend very much on when you test.
Testing just before you eat your aim is to be in that 4-7mmol/l range, however the nearer the top of that the effect of the carbs you eat will be more likely to increase your level to above the suggested no more than 8.5 mmol/l after 2 hours unless you have a very low carb meal.
The increase from your meal to aim at is 2-3mmol/l after 2 hours. Obviously if you test 1 hour after eating then the level is likely to be much higher.
Blood glucose goes up and down during the day and night mostly in response to what you eat and drink but also how active or inactive you are, stress or feeling unwell can also affect it. It is better to look for trends rather than individual readings.
As a matter of interest when was the 10.3mmol/l in relation to when you ate and what did you eat.
I can't remember now.....

I don't understand all the technical jargon..... can anyone point me in the direction of a simple guide for beginners????

Welcome to the forum @jake0703

For a good overview of T2 diabetes to add to the information you have already picked up, you might want to register an account for the Learning Zone which is packed with bite-sized modules you can work through at your own pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back