Scared of retinopathy screening :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have an appointment for a retinopathy screening on a week monday, and I really really don't want to go. I had one done years ago and it scared me silly, eye drops and such, blurry vision. Plus on that monday, I'll have to get the train back here to winchester and I'm scared blurry vision will mean I end up missing trains or falling over or something :confused:😱

I haven't been to one of these things in years because I have biiiiig issues with stuff going in my eyes. Is this REALLY that important? I mean, I don't have issues with my eyes. Could it wait for next time? Or should I go and risk having blurry eyes on the train?

Last edited:
I had one a couple of weeks ago and because of a pre-existing eye condition can't have the drops.

Don't think they saw quite as much as they wanted, but I got the all clear letter on Thursday :D

Better to get things checked out on a regular basis. The impact of retinopathy and the other 'opathy' conditions of diabetes are very important.

id say best go will only do you good in long run if you keep to going to all tests to do with eyes, eyes are to important to leave till "next time " I m one of the lucky ones who did not need drops as of my age but i know it can be worrying like yourself salmon i do not like getting my eyes touched or things put in them at all but for sake of my health id go through it

I hate them myself, but find the thought of losing my sight worse. It is REALLY important that you go.

Can you get someone to go along with you? Failing that, it is possible to get a test somewhere were you do not need to travel so far?

I hate them myself, but find the thought of losing my sight worse. It is REALLY important that you go.

Can you get someone to go along with you? Failing that, it is possible to get a test somewhere were you do not need to travel so far?

Both my parents are at work I think :(
The hospital here for some bizaare reason referred me for the ruddy thing back home even though i told them i'm not even going to be living back down there anymore, so I'd better go as for the past however many years I've found so many excuses to not go (essays, exams, ill etc etc...)

Do you think getting on a train will be ok? I'm a bit worried that I'll miss it or miss my stop...

Both my parents are at work I think :(
The hospital here for some bizaare reason referred me for the ruddy thing back home even though i told them i'm not even going to be living back down there anymore, so I'd better go as for the past however many years I've found so many excuses to not go (essays, exams, ill etc etc...)

Do you think getting on a train will be ok? I'm a bit worried that I'll miss it or miss my stop...

I was worried about my recent appointment. The people there were very nice and explained that it was vitally important to have these checks done as they can detect problems far sooner than your eye sight deteriorates.

The drops are needed to make the pupils of your eyes larger so the photographs show all they need to photograph. The drops made my eyes sting a bit - it wasn't that unpleasant and I have a very low pain threshold/tolerance.

I took their advice and wore dark sunglasses which helped a lot.

If you are worried about missing your stop on the train then contact the rail company and ask for assisted travel. They will get someone to help you on and off the train.

I used to work in a rail travel center and used to regularly book travel assistance. Give them at least 24 hours notice in case the any of the stations you will be using are unstaffed.

The railway is very good at assisted travel and the staff will look after you!

It may be cheaper to book in advance and reserve a seat so you know what carriage you will be travelling in. Ask for assisted travel when you book your advance tickets.

The assisted travel office will need to know the exact trains you will be travelling on and how you will be arriving and leaving the stations eg taxi, bus or collected by car. Tell them you will need someone to ensure you get off at the correct station because of your poor eyesight.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi Sam, I'd ring them and ask for an appointment closer to where you live. There seems to be such a variety of methods for retinopathy screening. My PCT uses a mobile van with the cameras in it and they let you choose an appointment at the place most convenient to you. Some places will let you go to an opticians and the pictures are sent on. However they do it where you are, there is probably some flexibility on where you go, so do please ask them! And do go - it is very important, particularly if you have missed past appointments - don't look back, look forward and look after yourself!🙂

can i ask whats PCT?
i can only think of primary care trust
sorry to act dumb

Hi Sam, I'd ring them and ask for an appointment closer to where you live. There seems to be such a variety of methods for retinopathy screening. My PCT uses a mobile van with the cameras in it and they let you choose an appointment at the place most convenient to you. Some places will let you go to an opticians and the pictures are sent on. However they do it where you are, there is probably some flexibility on where you go, so do please ask them! And do go - it is very important, particularly if you have missed past appointments - don't look back, look forward and look after yourself!🙂

I agree. No harm in asking.

If they say no, you aren't any worse off than at the moment, and if they say yes, your problem is solved. 🙂

Good luck either way. 😉

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll go to this one I think and then soon as I'm wherever I am (southampton hopefully!), I'll get everything sorted there. Winchester's health system is really really rubbish - despite me telling them I live in winchester they insist on referring me back to melksham :confused:

Anyways, I'll go for this one and make sure I get an evening train back. That might give time for the blurryness to subside a little 🙂 Thanks for the advice on assisted travel, it's something to think about definitely - I'll ask when I go get my ticket in the next few days :D:D

Hey Sam, I'm in Southampton and the diabetic healthcare is excellent! If you do come here then the Diabetic Clinic at the Royal South Hants hospital is the place to register with, the DSN's there are brilliant.🙂 It's also pretty central, so easy to get to - that's where I'll be going for my retinopathy scan later this month. Hope your scan goes OK - they might not need the drops as you are so young.

Hey Sam, I'm in Southampton and the diabetic healthcare is excellent! If you do come here then the Diabetic Clinic at the Royal South Hants hospital is the place to register with, the DSN's there are brilliant.🙂 It's also pretty central, so easy to get to - that's where I'll be going for my retinopathy scan later this month. Hope your scan goes OK - they might not need the drops as you are so young.

ooooooooooh! Wow, its a small world! The nurse I spoke to the other day said they're brilliant too :D:D

I hope I don't need drops...maybe if I start crying? mwahahaha

HI
WHen I had my retinopathy earlier this year the drops did not affect me nor did they sting, I didnt drive myself as I thought I would not be able to to.
As the drops had not affected my vision I could have driven home my self, so may be they wont affect you to badly if you do have to have them.

One tip though Make sure you have a good pair of sungalsses to wear, if it is sunny your eyes will be more aware of the glare.

That is good news about Southampton I had hoped to move up near there a few years ago but couldnt sell, the care here in South Devon leaves a lot to be desired.

Good luck

Sheila

Hi Salmonpuff,

Please go for your screening...its as I am sure you are aware vitally important for diabetics.

Nathan has his second one in a couple of weeks...he to is'nt enthralled with the whole think...the eye drops mainly...it to him interrupts vital XBox playing time, while his vision returns to normal...lol...Although he accepts it needs to be done, and the consequences of not attending any screening may cost him dear in years to come.

I'm not sure on this one as it depends on your hospital and circumstances but would you be able to get transport provided home after the appointment...most hospitals provide this service in our area...

Oh...taking some sunglasses as the eye drops and subsequent enlargement of your pupils, make you more sensetive to the sunlight

Heidi
🙂

thanks heidi

i know its important, it's just scary...:(

but I'll go, and then wait a bit for my eyes to sort themselves out before getting the train back

thanks heidi

i know its important, it's just scary...:(

but I'll go, and then wait a bit for my eyes to sort themselves out before getting the train back

Hun,

I really feel for you...I do understand how you and others feel...I too have a think about things been put into my eye..

Sending you big hugs

Heidi
🙂

Hi Salmonpuff

As others have said, young people often don't need eyedrops for the observer to get a good view of your retinas, so you may not have any blurry vision. I think it's unlikely that the hospital would offer you transport for retinopathy screening (unless you have other serious mobility problems) and not sure that it justifies railway assistance - probably a fellow passenger would read any signs for you, if you ask.

The main point about going for retinopathy screening is that it detects problems at a very early stage, when treatment is easier and gives a better result. You may never need treatment, but if you, the earlier the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back