Scared of having a hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.

gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
stupid or wot. As you all know have had issues with bg for long while with readings in the 20s. Last few weeks readings in NORMAL range 4.6 - 13.7. Have become a bit ocd like about testing, am testing 4-6 times a day. Niggling thought at back of head that im heading for hypo these readings just seem so low. Yes I know they are in normal range and Im being silly. Guess I have to just get used to having normal readings again
gail

Firstly Gail well done with your new readings. You should be so proud of yourself. That is a huge reduction from the 20's to between normal ranges.

As you experienced previously when you have had high blood sugars that get better over time you can experience hypos as your body tricks you into thinking they are low when they are still in fact high. Stupid diabetes!!

Also everyone's different but a hypo is classified as a blood sugar reading that is less than 4; attached link from DUK:

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Complications/Hypoglycaemia/

On the flip side if you have lots of low levels then your body gets used to this too and then you are more at 'risk' of having a hypo and not being aware.

You are doing great though and welcome to the obsession of testing 🙂 This is all you can do when you 'feel' different to the norm.

Bernie xx

stupid or wot. As you all know have had issues with bg for long while with readings in the 20s. Last few weeks readings in NORMAL range 4.6 - 13.7. Have become a bit ocd like about testing, am testing 4-6 times a day. Niggling thought at back of head that im heading for hypo these readings just seem so low. Yes I know they are in normal range and Im being silly. Guess I have to just get used to having normal readings again
gail

Gail, those readings are fantastic! So pleased for you 🙂 Your testing is not obsessive - my average since diagnosis is 6 tests a day, and by all accounts that's less than a lot of people on insulin. Test when you feel the need, you are going through a transitional stage of getting used to much tighter management of your blood sugar levels, so it's important that you are confident about that right now. Make sure you have some hypo treatments readily to hand, and try not to be tempted into overtreating if one should occur. I've had hundreds and only about three that I felt were a problem - but I still managed to deal with them. Might be an idea to discuss things with your doctor so you are getting some good 'medical' support too 🙂

Big hugs Gail - you are doing such a great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back