Scared/nervous about my next check up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woods268

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

Im type 2 and have been since sept 2022 i did my first 3 months then had my review and the nurse was very happy with my progress but since then i feel like ive gone off the rails abit and booked my 6 month review for next week but i am slighlty scared of what might happen.

I've currently been doing it with no medication and just through diet but im worried that i now will be on medication and go down hill as i struggle with self confidence and self discipline in a big way and get myself worked up.
I'm the first to admit that im struggling with this in a big way and it is causing issues in my personal life aswell as no one in my family has it.

Richard

Only you know how much you have drifted off course and really until you know the result of your HbA1C you will not know how much damage has been done if any. There is nothing you can do about what has gone but you can make a plan to move forward and get back on the track that produced good progress in those first few months.
Depending on how high your Hba1C is and how good your motivation to continue without medication then it is very possible to get blood glucose levels down.
Have a look at this link as it is a low carb approach based on real foods so should fit in better with family life, it may give you some ideas for some modification to your normal menu that would work.
I had been aware that for me diabetes was a possibility as my father had Type 2 but in those days diabetes management was rather different, basically a list of 'green' foods which could be had with no restriction sadly these were mostly meat and fish which as a lifelong vegetarian he could not have and the 'red' foods to be had with caution. Plenty veg, cheese and eggs were the options. He passed away at 55 from a heart attack so I have always felt myself at risk so took my diagnosis very seriously.

No-one in my family had diabetes as far as anyone actually knew either when I was diagnosed 50+ years ago, or has found out since. Since then my sole older sister became T2 when she was already being treated for breast cancer - she was well overweight at that time and had already made plans to cut the carbs and lose weight, but her oncologist asked her not to 'right now' cos she'd already started on a course of radiotherapy because the tattoos the radiotherapists have to give you so they blast exactly the right bit(s) of you with the Xrays would be in the wrong places should she lose bust fat. Subsequentially our only first cousin, our dad's older sister's daughter - also became T2. Hence I've personally rather suspected Dad's mother might perhaps have started the 'rot', that lady died when dad was about 11 or 12, apparently of heart trouble from what he could remember, so that would be in the late 1920s. My paternal grandad died when I was about 7 well before I could have had a sensible conversation with him about anything by which time he'd been married to his second wife for a while.

So what if nobody's had it before? So what if you were overweight? There are still shedloads of severely, morbidly obese people (which you were not) who can't even easily get through normal size doors, but who don't have diabetes, cos it's what your innards are doing/not doing that causes diabetes, not just what you can see on the outside!

If your body was allergic to eg peanuts or fish would your family still cause you the personal problems they cause you now your body can't handle carbohydrates as well as it used to. How would that help them? (and if it doesn't, why on earth do it?) I find it rather hard to process how or why they would,cause you grief, since it shouldn't affect THEM.

Please try and buck yourself up - and if your body needs the assistance of medically prescribed drugs either for the diabetes or anything else - there's no point in dreading them. If I didn't jab insulin I'd simply die. On the basis I don't want to do that any quicker than inevitably in the course of time, I'm perfectly accepting of it - but as a Type 2 it's by NO means a logical progression because there are now such A Lot of other modern drugs that can be tried, before anyone gets to think of insulin, anyway..

Not every medical appointment is bad news, either!

What’s wrong with medication if it helps keep you healthy? If you need it then you need it.

I was also diagnosed September 2022. I was put straight on medication and did very well, eating low carb foods and brought my HbA1c down from 115 to 68 within a few months, then down to 48. I thought I was going to be able to put it into remission, however I have been diagnosed as LADA which means I can never do it without medication and am now accepting that. I am now on insulin. I'm still finding my way with it, but have had to accept that Diabetes is with me for life and I need to look after myself as best I can.

Don't shy away from medication and take all help you can get.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back