• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

Scare of my life

brightbaby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi

Had the scare of my life this morning. When I tested my blood before breakfast it was up at 32.2. Paniced a bit and called NHS 24 who advised to contact dn to which I did and he said nothing to worry about unless they stay high all day. Tested there just now and down to 9.8 so dont know what cuased it to be so high as been following a diet plan and havent had readings over 12 recently.

Thank god I wasnt at work or I would have stressed myself out even more about it.

Also thank god seeing the DN tomorrow and can have chat about it

Ally

It does seem odd - have you checked ketones? Do you feel ill at all? Bev

I feel completely normal so thats the strange thing. Dont know how to check ketones so cant do that

Ally

Might have been a 'blip' on your meter, or possibly if you'd touched something that hadn't been cleaned off entirely? When I was first diagnosed and in hospital my levels would shoot up to the high 20's after meals, but then come right down an hour later.

Definitely a topic to discuss with your nurse!:)

Ask for some ketone testing strips - dead simple to use, you just pee on them!

hi northerner,

i have a monitor that uses ketone testing strips. so it is a blood test not urine which has been in the system for a few hours. blood testing is far more accurate.

i use the optium exceed now and i find it is a very good monitor.

mike

I'd have been worried too, but it may just have been a blip. All the usual things had you just eaten, were your hands clean, had you been handling or doing anything different that may have an effect?

As it is comming down, you're OK but if you are still worried talk to your diabetic nurse or your doctor. I'm sure NHS do a brilliant job out of hours, but people who know you personally are better placed to give advice.

Stress also tends to push the sugar levels up too, so try not to worry about the odd blip

Any result I get that doesn't either 'feel' right or is enexpected I will recheck to make sure it's not a bad reading.

I also use the optimum xceed for blood ketone testing, would reccommend it.

Hi

Well my sugars have continued to drop throughout the day so I guess it must have been a blip in my monitor. i will remember the advice given by others and tkae another test

Thanks for all your advice

Ally

Hi

Well my sugars have continued to drop throughout the day so I guess it must have been a blip in my monitor. i will remember the advice given by others and tkae another test

Thanks for all your advice

Ally

On occasions, when I've had an odd reading I have (i)tested again on the other hand
and (ii) something I often forget, a test using the control solution.

I once used a hand cream and forgot, did a test and had a reading of "HI"!

Absolutely cr@pped myself until i made the connection, washed my hands and it was 9ish (normal for me at the time!)

Scary, bt just goes to show why you should wash your hands :)

Once when I was in hospital the nurse did a BG test on my right hand and my reading was almost off the scale, I'm not sure who was more scared her or me. Then my partner asked whether the glucose drip that was going into my right hand could have anything to do with the high reading. At which point she blushed, tried the other hand, got a normal reading.

I also use the optimum xceed and find it so easy to use (not used it for keytones though), but the hospital did when I had a high reading. I love the fact that you can download your results to your computer.

...I also use the optimum xceed and find it so easy to use (not used it for keytones though), but the hospital did when I had a high reading. I love the fact that you can download your results to your computer.

I use the accu-chek aviva and you can also download to computer - very enlightening and saves a lot of effort when looking for patterns. I just rang them up and asked for the software and it arrived the next day by courier. It has an infra-red reader which connects to the serial port on my computer, so it doesn't take up a usb port!:)

Back