Saying hello and introducing myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craine1979

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I'm Jo

51 and diagnosed type2 back in December. I'm on metformin and following Noom to support changes to my diet .

I've lost around 30lb in weight since October and am trying to set up an exercise routine.

Struggled with zero support after diagnosis - here's the prescription go and take it. Struggling with sleep issues atm

Have a great day everybody

Hello and welcome
Well done for losing the weight. Sadly your story about lack of support is all to familiar for a lot of people. But you've done the right thing in joining this forum. Lots of helpful support and suggestions here. The Learning Zone is particularly helpful for newly diagnosed people. I hope your Noom changes have included a reduction in all carbs, as that is what helps many Type 2 diabetics. Please feel free to ask any questions - nothing is too silly as we all had to learn. Best wishes

Hi Jo and welcome.

I am a little confused by your profile and opening post. Can you clarify a few things for us please.
Your profile shows you as Type 1 but your text says you were diagnosed in December as Type 2?

Then you mention that you have lost about 30lbs since October so that is before your diagnosis, so I am wondering if that was intentional weight loss or if it just dropped off you and was perhaps the reason for seeking medical help and getting the diagnosis of diabetes. I was going to congratulate you on your weight loss but then I wasn't sure if it was intentional of not since it started before diagnosis...... but then you mention Noom which I believe is a weight loss program.

Would you be comfortable telling us a bit more about how your diagnosis came about? ie what lead up to you going to the doctors and presumably having a blood test which is called an HbA1c which is used to diagnose diabetes and if you know it and don't mind sharing, what the result of that test was? Usually it will be a number of 48 or more to get a diabetes diagnosis, but it can be well into 3 figures if your body's systems have gone badly awry.

The reason I ask these questions to clarify is that Type 1 and Type 2 are quite different in their causes and in some respects, their treatment and Type 1 is often linked to sudden and quite significant and easy or unexplained weight loss, Type 2 tends to be associated with slower weight gain.... until steps are taken to change lifestyle. Many more mature people who develop diabetes are simply assumed to be Type 2 due to their age and perhaps carrying a few extra pounds largely because many health care professionals don't realise that Type 1 diabetes can develop at any age and not just in children, so there are quite a few of us on the forum who were misdiagnosed as Type 2 when we were actually Type 1.

Anyway, I am pleased you have found the forum as it is a goldmine of knowledge and experience from people who have been there and got the T-shirt and the practical and emotional support is second to none in my opinion. Hope you find it equally beneficial.

Hi Jo and welcome back to the forum. I will echo all that @rebrascora has said.

If you need to change your signature so that your "type" is updated then these are the steps you need to take....

1. Go to the bar across the top of the forum where over to the right you should see a button with your username on it. Click on it.

2. You will see a list of things including "account details". Click on "account details".

3. A form will appear with the details you filled in when you opened your account.

4. Scroll down until you get to the "type" options and change your preference by clicking on the box to get a tick alongside the best description of your diabetes.

I’ve updated your diabetes type for you @Craine1979 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back