Saw a diabetic nurse today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tilly6364

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I was advised not to eat mini oranges or blueberries but I can eat apples. Having a finger prick at my gym last week was irrelevant.

I was advised not to eat mini oranges or blueberries but I can eat apples. Having a finger prick at my gym last week was irrelevant.
Did they give a reason?

No, just not to eat blueberries or oranges. Apart from that I'm very careful what I eat which is usually salad with fish, no beetroot & very little dressing.
I suggest you get the book or app Carbs and Cals then you can make your own decision about which fruit to have, in some respects it comes down to portion size.
It is true blueberries are the highest carb of most berries but as far as oranges or apples are concerned it is how big they are.
Certainly fruits like grapes, mangos, pineapples, bananas are not a good idea.
As an example 80g blueberries is 12g carb, other berries are half those carbs, an 85g apple is 10g carb, a 70g inc peel orange is 4g carb. whereas 80g of banana is 20g carbs.
If you like beetroot then have some 80g beetroot 8g carbs.
There is no nee to avoid all carbs just the higher carb foods or be careful about your portion size.
Have a look at this link for some good ideas for a variety of low carb menus. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

A fingerprick at the gym probably was pointless, most random fingerpricking is pointless. Unless you actually do something differently based on the result, there’s no point testing. People who use testing in a structured way do find it useful though. Blueberries should be ok, and mini oranges so long as not eating several in one go, unless you’re on other medication that interacts with those fruits.

I think you need to insist the nurse tells you why to avoid blueberries and the oranges as this is very strange advice and something I've never heard of before. Without any good explanation you might choose to decide your own diet with carb control of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back