Status
Not open for further replies.

MCH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Just a quick question.

I had a slice of Lorne sausage for tea last night (very nice it was too 😉 ) and guessed at the CHO content. As I was a little high later on I assume my guess was "a bit off".

Does anyone have any idea what the CHO content for a bit or for 100g of this might be? :confused:

Just a quick question.

I had a slice of Lorne sausage for tea last night (very nice it was too 😉 ) and guessed at the CHO content. As I was a little high later on I assume my guess was "a bit off".

Does anyone have any idea what the CHO content for a bit or for 100g of this might be? :confused:

Don't know with this particular sausage, but when did you test? If it's a fairly fatty sausage that might have slowed the digestion and meant your reading was higher because it hadn't started to come down until later and missed your insulin peak. Trial and error, lots more sausages!😉

Don't know with this particular sausage, but when did you test? If it's a fairly fatty sausage that might have slowed the digestion and meant your reading was higher because it hadn't started to come down until later and missed your insulin peak. Trial and error, lots more sausages!😉

I tested about 3 hours later and it was still 10.4 so as you say it might well have been the fat rather than a really bad CHO guess.

(I like the idea of lots more sausages though. :D)

For the benefit of Northerner, Lorne sausage aka square sausage, is a traditional Scottish delicacy made of pork or beef or both. It comes as a big slab of finely minced meat from which you can cut off slices and then either fry or grill. Goodness knows what else is in it - depending on the butcher, it can be made from quality meat or, alternatively, all the nasty bits left on the floor - demonstrating a complete lack of taste on my part, I confess I think the nasty stuff makes a much finer square sausage.

Not available down south apart in from Morrisons on a very occasional basis, it ranks with Forfar bridies as one of the foodie things I miss most about Scotland (although I guess all the pastry round a Forfar bridie puts it on the naughty list these days along with full fat Irn Bru).

Lorne sausage (sliced sausage for you folk down south) does contain a fair bit more fat than a link does, it's needed to bind the thing together.

Some of the things I missed most were morning rolls (a floury roll) and Aberdeen butteries (a bit like a salty croissant) and Finnan Haddie (smoked haddock). Oh and thin cut back bacon that goes all crispy when you fry it.

Last edited:
square sausage and fried egg sandwich - I would give a lot for one of them just now mmm mmm

If it wasnt a 'good quality' sausage it will be full of rusk! This adds to the carb count along with the fat. It also depends what you had it with? Any sauce etc? I find the sausages in sainsburys are the best - only approx 3cho per sausage as its a high % of meat -very little rusk and fat.🙂Bev

Not available down south apart in from Morrisons on a very occasional basis, it ranks with Forfar bridies as one of the foodie things I miss most about Scotland (although I guess all the pastry round a Forfar bridie puts it on the naughty list these days along with full fat Irn Bru).

When I worked in the Isle of Wight, it was plain bread everyone who visited brought down for me.

Lorne sausage (sliced sausage for you folk down south) does contain a fair bit more fat than a link does, it's needed to bind the thing together.

Some of the things I missed most were morning rolls (a floury roll) and Aberdeen butteries (a bit like a salty croissant) and Finnan Haddie (smoked haddock). Oh and thin cut back bacon that goes all crispy when you fry it.

The mums on the email group I belong too have been talking about the carbs of a butterie recently and none of us southerners had a clue what they were on about, just that they sounded very nice.

The mums on the email group I belong too have been talking about the carbs of a butterie recently and none of us southerners had a clue what they were on about, just that they sounded very nice.
They're absolutely gorgeous but crammed full of butter and salt. Definitely on the no-no list.

i started a thread on here a bit ago about sausages i found some in tesco called "black farmer sausages" they are brill and low in carbs and everything you get 6 thick pork sausages low in GI and in natural skins

When I worked in the Isle of Wight, it was plain bread everyone who visited brought down for me.

Mmm...butteries...I'd forgotten about those.

Do you still have to ask for a 'plain' or a 'pan' loaf or is that just me showing my age (been exiled for a very long time now).

Mmm has to be plain bread with me thats what I miss the most - havent had it in 25 weeks since starting weightwatchers. Big doorstop piece of plain bread with square sausage, potato scone and black pudding. I can almost feel my arteries clogging at the thought of it... :D

Mmm has to be plain bread with me thats what I miss the most - havent had it in 25 weeks since starting weightwatchers. Big doorstop piece of plain bread with square sausage, potato scone and black pudding. I can almost feel my arteries clogging at the thought of it... :D

With a wee bit of 'broon' sauce perhaps?

Oh yes! We used to fight over who got the 'sair haund', it was called that because the slabs of bread were so thick they weighed a ton. I loved the end of the loaf, toasted and spread with home made raspberry jam.

Oh how could I forget the "broon" sauce :D

Oh yes! We used to fight over who got the 'sair haund', it was called that because the slabs of bread were so thick they weighed a ton. I loved the end of the loaf, toasted and spread with home made raspberry jam.

There was no fight in our house over the doorstop, hubby knows better!! :D

Mmm...butteries...I'd forgotten about those. QUOTE]

I hadn't heard of Butteries until we visited Aberdeen (my husband's cousin lived there) a few years back - I'm SO glad I wasn't diabetic then as we had lots of them and I got quite addicted ! (Oh, the good old days!).......

Stawberry jam and cheese - yes at the same time :D- but not toasted for me.

Tomato sauce for me (though OH does brown).

MMmmmm sounds yum. What's a forfar birdie?

If it wasnt a 'good quality' sausage it will be full of rusk! This adds to the carb count along with the fat. It also depends what you had it with? Any sauce etc? I find the sausages in sainsburys are the best - only approx 3cho per sausage as its a high % of meat -very little rusk and fat.🙂Bev

I agree Bev - also good for a sausage casserole because of this. (They also often do a BOGOF on these.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back