sanric6 - newly-diagnosed, what to eat and drink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanric6

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi there, im new to all this, i ahve jsut been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, i have been given meformina , for the diabetes, simvastina for high colesterol and high blood presure. this was yesterday. getting back to the thread, i was always under the inprestion that diabetes was not allowed to drink alcohol sny sny ideas for food what i can eat and cant has i dont see a nurse until the 18 dec thanks sanric

Hi sanric6, welcome to the forum🙂 I moved your post out into a new thread so it doesn't get lost!

It's a misconception that any kind of food or drink is 'forbidden' with diabetes. What you do need to do, however, is try and eat healthily - a good, varied diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables. Alcohol is fine in moderation, and you are allowed the occasional treat too!

The main aim is to try and discover which foods tend to raise your blood sugar levels the most - these are the foods you need to avoid. Generally, a low GI (glycaemic index) diet is the best, as low GI foods digest slowly and do not raise your levels as much. High GI foods are things like white bread, white rice, sugary foods etc.

Do you have an appointment to see a dietician? If not, ask the nurse when you see her and she will be able to give you some guidance. Try not to worry, it will take a little time to get used to everything but nothing dreadful is going to happen overnight. You may need to modify your lifestyle and the things you eat, but this will hopefully become a way of life to you - many people find they are actually healthier in the long run because they now have to consider carefully what they eat and drink, and become more active.🙂

Please see also my reply to Millymoose. Can't add to Norheners advice.

Hello Sanric6,

This guide, a downloadable pdf from DUK might be useful:-

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/upload/9831 Eating Well Type 2.pdf

As regards alcohol unless there are underlying reasons relating to other health problems and/or other medications there is no reason why a, well controlled, diabetic cannot enjoy a drink. It may be that your GP feels you should avoid it until your all your meds are balanced. I have, though, come across a consultant who advised against it but in reality I think this was for religious rather than medical reasons. Good luck with it all.

Falcon123...

Hi sanric,

I'm a Type 2 myself and on metformin tablets.

The best advice that I can give you to reduce your blood glucose levels is to cut back dramatically on the starchy carbohydrates that you eat - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes mainly - but also be careful with pasta and rice etc.

That usually, leads to a big and quick improvement in blood glucose levels.

Drinking in moderation shouldn't cause you too much of a problem - wine and spirits being better than beer and lager because they are lower in carbohydrate. In fact, the odd glass of red wine could be beneficial to your health according to most of the information that I read.

Best wishes - John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back