Sanofi launches inhaled insulin for diabetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sanofi launched an inhalable insulin in the United States on Tuesday in a potential boost for its flagging diabetes drug sales and for patient quality of life.

Developed by Mannkind Corp, Afrezza will be the only inhalable insulin on the U.S. market, where Sanofi competes with Eli Lilly and Novo Nordisk for sales of traditional injectable insulin.

Inhalation promises to be faster acting and much more convenient than injections, but an inhaled product has failed in the past and there are concerns about the potential risks associated with breathing powdered insulin.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/03/us-sanofi-diabetes-insulin-idUSKBN0L70CS20150203

Not for me, thanks :(

User experience of diabetes management with Afrezza and the level of control possible, supported by pictures of his de com CGMS readings to demonstrate its effectiveness.

He is currently blogging the experience on Twitter with levels pre and post afrezza

@afrezzauser

It's worth a look before deciding IMO

Thanks ScottAMP (welcome to the forum 🙂). I can't see the NHS paying for it, since it appears to cost twice as much as injected insulin. I'd be concerned about the long-term effects of putting it in my lungs, which can't be proven yet since it is so new to the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back