Sandyford mum reveals how diabetes almost stopped her having children

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
DETERMINED Angela Eren has lived almost her entire life under the shadow of diabetes.

But on the 40th anniversary of the diagnosis which changed her life, she staged a fund-raising event to help fellow sufferers break free of the condition's grip.

On Saturday Angela, who has one child herself and two step-children, organised a coffee morning to show her support for Diabetes UK and raise awareness about living with the condition.

For many years, Angela hated having type-1 diabetes, but eventually began to accept it and decided to help others.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Sand...opped-having/story-26172647-detail/story.html

What does diabetes do to your ovaries then?

Don't think I've ever heard that it does anything?

Medics do tend to advise women not to get pregnant if their HbA1c isn't too good, or if control is poor, or if they have complications. So, headline could be based on her interpretation of advice, rather than an absolute "can't have biological children".

Well Copepod, I'm glad you tend to agree that it doesn't affect them!

I'm perfectly certain it would have been mentioned to me by the gynae who did my total hysterectomy and bi-lateral oophorectomy - who most certainly knew I was Type 1 diabetic, it was essential for her to be fully aware of it when she was responsible for my having a GA ! LOL

Well done her for helping others to over come the Big "D" & adopting kids. 😎

During my whistle stop tour of the many potential complications they mentioned premature menopause and poly cystic ovaries, although they said they were potential complications of long term heavy insulin use I think so given my age at diagnosis probably not too much of a worry. So maybe if her control wasn't brilliant she encountered those types of issues. Anyway good on her for changing her life, I hope she's very happy 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back