Sandals

Status
Not open for further replies.

WendyB61

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
This might be a daft question but would it be ok to wear sandals if you have type 2 ?

Hi there, no questions are daft , there is no reason that you cannot wear sandals , I'm type 1 and wear sandals or flip flops in this lovely warm weather.
Martin

Theare concerns round wearing open toes shoes (sandals) if you have diabetes as there is a risk that, due to neuropathy, you mat injury your feet with noticing.
I wear sandals (and walk around in bare feet at home) and check my feet every day. I am confident of the feelings in my feet.
If you think you have neuropathy or at risk, you may want to avoid open toe shoes.

I get closed toe sandals as I had a lot of problems with my feet and legs after having the first AZ jab - just as a precaution.

If you get a piece of grit knocked in through the front, and you do not have full feeling, it can do a lot of damage before you notice. Sadly, especially if BG levels are high, relatively minor foot injuries can escalate.

I've always had 100% feeling in my tootsies and always worn sandals with open toes in the summer - however that came back to bite me in 2009 when we were washing up one evening on holiday in our motorhome. We'd used the grillpan - wide double width heavy enamel one which husband washed (well the whole thing was pretty new) and I was drying. Holding it at waist height by the handle with the pan part vertically downward I dropped it and the very edge of the 'bottom' lip landed on the exact place where my left big toe nail, met my toe.

It hurt that much I was unable to utter a word for 5 whole minutes whilst couldn't even get enough breath in to shriek or swear. Eventually I was able to say Profanity that profanity hurt! The right hand half of that big toe has been partially numb ever since. Never affected the rest of that foot or the other one.

As only footwear with steel toecaps could have stopped that - sorry doomsayers - I still wear nice comfy open toe sandals ! - and still dry up in the moho, but have a different one now so the grillpan ain't as heavy! (though the one at home still is .....)

It hadn't occurred to me that sandals might be a problem, so cheers for asking the question @WendyB61 🙂

@trophywench Ouch! I had similar with a heavy chopping board landing on my toe and had to have the nail treppaned at A and E. It grew back a bit mutated. I burned the wooden chopping board on the fire to show it who the boss is.
Perhaps there's a gap in the market for steel toecap kitchen sandals?

It entirely depends on you.
I wear open toe sandals and shorts from Easter to November.
I have full feeling in my feet, no neuropathy, and feel every bit of grit that gets in there.
They are high end hiking/climbing sandals, composite soles, cushioned insteps, I can drive in them, it winter I switch to closed toed ones, (and change out of the shorts!)

I've always had 100% feeling in my tootsies and always worn sandals with open toes in the summer - however that came back to bite me in 2009 when we were washing up one evening on holiday in our motorhome. We'd used the grillpan - wide double width heavy enamel one which husband washed (well the whole thing was pretty new) and I was drying. Holding it at waist height by the handle with the pan part vertically downward I dropped it and the very edge of the 'bottom' lip landed on the exact place where my left big toe nail, met my toe.

It hurt that much I was unable to utter a word for 5 whole minutes whilst couldn't even get enough breath in to shriek or swear. Eventually I was able to say Profanity that profanity hurt! The right hand half of that big toe has been partially numb ever since. Never affected the rest of that foot or the other one.

As only footwear with steel toecaps could have stopped that - sorry doomsayers - I still wear nice comfy open toe sandals ! - and still dry up in the moho, but have a different one now so the grillpan ain't as heavy! (though the one at home still is .....)
I did similar.
Went out, called at B&Q, they had a great offer on laminate flooring, I dropped a pack on my big toe off the top of a pallet.
Drove home in second as I couldn't use the clutch, spent the afternoon with my foot in a bucket of iced water.
It took about four months for the blood/bruise to grow out.

I don't go open toed or bear foot any more as sadly I've neuropathic damage in my toes (and fingers but its easier to notice nick and cuts in them) so I can bearly feel anything from them most of the time and if its cold I cant feel anything from them. So I go safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back