Salutations everybody.

Kangal64

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Here on behalf of my wife who isn't very tec savvy, I am not far behind being very much a Luddite. She has been Type 2 for seventeen or so years and as far as I am concerned, not doing too badly. Diabetic nurse and Doc seem to think otherwise so here to read of others experiences, maybe ask a few questions of our own.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Kangal64

Are there specific issues that her doctor has raised?
Fire away with any questions you have.

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Kangal64 welcome to the forum. Ask away but we will need a little info so as to give suitable advise .
Her last Hb1ac result.
what diabetes medications is your wife on .
What dietary changes has your wife made

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Kangal64 and hi Kangal64’s better half!

Ask anything. Read around. We’re a friendly bunch!

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Kangal64

Glad you have joined us.

We are a friendly bunch, and there are literally centuries of lived diabetes experience among the members here. We are all just muddling along with our own unique diabetes conundrums.

There’s no ‘one size fits all’, but between our shared experiences, ideas, experiments, triumphs and disasters we are all trying to gradually improve our BG levels.

Keep asking questions, and let us know a bit more about what works for you, and what you find difficult.

What medications, if any does she take?

Does your wife check her own BG levels at home? What sorts of things do you both generally eat?

Do you know what her last HbA1c was?

Kangal64

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hi, a big thank you to those who have welcomed our first tentative step. Apart from eBay this is very much a learning curve on the tec side for us. Have visions of a Mongolian yak farmer looking at his phone and wondering what his latest message is all about. Apologies for slow response.
Marion is 78 and has been Type2 for 17yrs. Weight 60kg. Eyes and feet fine. Elevated platelets and a possible ITA in the past but not proven. BP not bad and cholesterol not bad. Insulin 8/10 twice a day and Metformin 500 x 4 which they wanted to stop but is now, we think going to be put down 1 x 500 twice a day. Last HbA1C down to 45 from 50 the previous year. A little low I suspect and caused by overcompensating food wise due to putting her meds down.
We don't number crunch or carb count. Reasonable aware of which foods are best avoided. Take level, choose food to suit. Like to see numbers 4 to 6 before food and a max of 10 after. 4 is very rare, 10 and above is increasing common. 4 at breakfast meant coarse porridge topped with proper greek yogurt and a few berries. An indulgence in other words!
A couple of simple questions. Are we wrong to resist determined efforts by her diabetic nurse and doctor to run her levels quite a bit higher. Whats wrong with trying to keep fairly normal? It would appear the thinking is now along the lines of, 'old, not long left, why risk a hypo, OK to run 15 occasionally'. Anyone else found this happening and your reactions?
Can anybody recommend from experience a good reliable wrist worn hypo alert gadget. Not too high tec please!! Many thanks in advance!

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Kamgal64 and Marion.
I can see that you are dealing well with the technology, and hope that you find this site easy to use, if not please ask and we will try to help.

Also many thank for the information on Marion's health. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience on the forum, and I am sure other members will provide some reactions to her current situation and treatment.

I can only speak from my personal experience and have been a Type 2 for about 10 years. My HbA1C varies between 40 and 45 and there has never been any indication of hypos or concerns about this from my GP or nurse. May be their concerns are for other health reasons.
Her pre-food readings are in a good range. You say they are 10 after eating, but how soon after do you take the reading? The recommendation I have followed is to measure around 2 hours after eating, when a rise of 2 or 3 points is acceptable.

If you want to try out your techy skills a bit more try clicking on the orange TAB 'Learning Zone' at the top of this page, and this will lead you to all sorts of different information that may be of use.

Please keep reading and posting and I hope that we can help you both.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Kamgal64 and Marion.
I can see that you are dealing well with the technology, and hope that you find this site easy to use, if not please ask and we will try to help.

Also many thank for the information on Marion's health. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience on the forum, and I am sure other members will provide some reactions to her current situation and treatment.

I can only speak from my personal experience and have been a Type 2 for about 10 years. My HbA1C varies between 40 and 45 and there has never been any indication of hypos or concerns about this from my GP or nurse. May be their concerns are for other health reasons.
Her pre-food readings are in a good range. You say they are 10 after eating, but how soon after do you take the reading? The recommendation I have followed is to measure around 2 hours after eating, when a rise of 2 or 3 points is acceptable.

If you want to try out your techy skills a bit more try clicking on the orange TAB 'Learning Zone' at the top of this page, and this will lead you to all sorts of different information that may be of use.

Please keep reading and posting and I hope that we can help you both.
He said she is on Insulin, so that will be why they are concerned re hypos.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yeah on insulin - most likely to be an intermediate acting one (eg Humulin I) since it's jabbed twice a day.

Is it Humulin I - or another brand?

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the update @Kangal64

I think there is a degree of wisdom in not pushing for an A1c in the 5s if it means you are on the edge of hypos all the time... but from what you have said that doesn't seem to case for you.

There are certainly sobering conference case studies that your Dr and Nurse may have read with examples like someone pottering along in later years with an HbA1c in the low 60s being put on a new regime to aim for 48 with the result that they collapsed from a mega hypo, fell, broke a hip (or whatever) and were never quite able to manage living independently afterwards.

Like everything diabetes... ‘it depends’.

The targets that you agree with your HCP and aim for will be governed by a number of factors, including your own assessment of complication risk, and how easy, or difficult you find different HbA1c results to reach, and how potential exposure to hypos changes.

Not sure how much that helps your thinking!