Salt intake added to risk for developing type 2 diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The study surveyed more than 400,000 adults registered in the UK Biobank about their salt intake. Over a median of 11.8 years of follow-up, more than 13,000 cases of Type 2 diabetes developed among participants. Compared to those who “never” or “rarely” used salt, participants who “sometimes,” “usually,” or “always” added salt had a respective 13%, 20%, and 39% higher risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.

I was reading about this earlier. Correlation and Causation are two words that as usual come to mind, and the researchers themselves say that they haven’t found a causal link, but of course the media have take it and run with it.
It wasn’t a controlled study where they all ate the same and some sprinkled salt and some didn’t. I suspect what people are sprinkling their salt ON, has as much bearing.

I never used salt in cooking or put it on any food and was 'a very bad diabetic' according to my GP.
In the hot summers which have occurred since diagnosis I have learned to use salt or suffer cramps - we do need salt, but I suspect that all those 'healthy' carbs were salted, so I did not need any added to my diet.

Further research is needed to determine why high salt intake could be linked to a higher risk of Type 2 diabetes. However, Qi believes salt encourages people to eat larger portions, increasing the chances of developing risk factors such as obesity and inflammation. The study found an association between frequent consumption of salt and higher BMI and waist-to-hip ratio.

So it maybe nothing to do with salt. It's eating too much?
People who have poor lifestyles and eat junk food probably eat more salt and refined carbs as well and are more likely to be overweight...

So it maybe nothing to do with salt. It's eating too much?
People who have poor lifestyles and eat junk food probably eat more salt and refined carbs as well and are more likely to be overweight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back