Salt, Herbs and Spices

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha1

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi All,

Continuing on from potatoes and pizza.....I have found info on Salt, Herbs and Spices.

SALT: Salt intake is generally to high. In processed meals in is very high, bearing in mind that only 20% of total intake is added at the table and in cooking. Extra salt in the form of sodium chloride (table salt) will increase blood pressure and can be a risk factor especially as diabetes itself increases the risk of heart and vascular diseases. Eating salty food can cause glucose to be absorbed more effectively from the intestine. Salt is also available as potassium chloride but this is more expensive than common table salt and tastes very different. Sea salt and Herb salt usually contain the same amount of sodium as table salt. In some countries Iodine is added to table salt. If you can get hold of this, it is a good choice as iodine is important for the function of the thyroid gland.

HERBS and Spices: Herbs will not affect your BG at all. But it is important to be aware that some 'Herbal Seasoning' preperations also contain a lot of salt. If the flavour is strong enough to make you drink more, the stomach may empty more rapidly, resulting in a quicker rise in your BG level.

Heidi
xx🙂

cheers heidi, i only use basil and corriander myself, as f salt it is banned from me lol, but dunno y i dnt have it really grr x

Mmm its Black pepper for me or Sea Salt ( rarely tho :() OOoo and Cayenne Pepper .

When I make things myself, I hardly ever add salt, and if I want a bit of flavouring I add herbs or onions or celery if it is savoury or the appropriate soices if it is something sweet.

Thank you once again, Heidi! Loving these stippets of info! :D

Thanks for that, i use lots of spices, oh i do have a great recipy for a low fat turkey madras, should i add it to the recipy board?

Julie x

I don't add salt to anything when cooking, or on chips or anything like that. But I do like my crisps and do eat some ready meals so probably still get too much salt.

Thanks for that, i use lots of spices, oh i do have a great recipy for a low fat turkey madras, should i add it to the recipy board?

Julie x

Oh yes please - love curry but found you do need to check curry pastes and curry powders for carb levels as some of them are ridiculously high and I rarely start from scratch with all the separate ingredients

Julie x

yes please do add your turkey madras to the recipe board, I'm sure there are plenty who will enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back