Saliva blood glucose meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copepod

Much missed Moderator
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27223308

Watch the last of the three inventions / designs - a woman describing a gadget that can detect levels of blood glucose in saliva. Looks a bit bulky and imprecise (it shows level by colour, not a number) to me, but would be interested to hear other people's opinions.

I couldn't see the glucose meter on this link - just a toilet!

From what you say it would be no good for us. We need reasonably accurate BG numbers to calculate his insulin doses. And what about retesting BG after treating a hypo? He would have sugary saliva from the lucozade/dextrose and would get a false high. No way!

That's why I said watch - it's a short film, saliva meter is third gadget after toilet and shower.

Oh!! Ok, I'll have a look later - just off out to a training course.....

Nice idea but it's fixing a problem that doesn't really exist.

Fine, no-one enjoys sticking their fingers for blood but I think we'd all rather have either a monitor that continuously and non-invasively monitors blood sugar, or something that means we don't actually have to monitor your blood sugar ie. a cure.

Otherwise, all you're really doing is swapping one bodily fluid for another.

I cannot see the point of it, we all need acurate bs level readings, unless it could be improved to do that who would get any use out of it ? I can see the attraction if it was acurate, no more finger pricking. Good idea but not precise enough to be of any use.

I can sort of see the attraction; like anyone else, I hate having to prick my finger, I'd much rather [don't say it — Ed].

But even if this is as accurate as a blood test, there is the aforementioned problem of this device being useless for checking whether oral hypo treatments have worked, and probably many others...

OK, just suppose I'd been at the jelly babies again and then went to test... would it not be confused by the sugar on my tongue?

Also testing by colour horrifies me !

Memories of boiling wee up in test tubes, begone ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back