Salad and carb counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesley1978

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
What do you all do when you are just having a basic salad with ham or chicken? Not many carbs in there so what would you normally give yourself?

I don't eat salad much as I'm not a big fan. For me I would give no insulin for that meal (assuming I was in range and needed no correction). But I have some own insulin production so not sure that is helpful for you.
without carb counting how much would you have usually given yourself? and was that working?

I guess the guys/gals on the low/no carb thread would be best to answer this one. I like a good munch on salad, and would probably put 1 or 2 units in depending on my levels activity and if I was likely to have anything else, but as ever we're all different.

I would probably give about 2 units if around 10 mmol but if I was lower say 5 - 7 I may give one unit. If I was below 5 I would just eat and test in an hour or so to see whats going on.

I would probably give about 2 units if around 10 mmol but if I was lower say 5 - 7 I may give one unit. If I was below 5 I would just eat and test in an hour or so to see whats going on.

That seems a reasonable approach. And then you can see what happens and then tweek things each time until you get it right

still swinging all over the show though when carb counting, I sooooo want a pump!

I wouldn't usually inject for salad, unless I was eating a huge amount!

If you are carb counting then most salad is so low it is nothing. It depends how much you eat. I think if you eat loads of tomatoes then you might need to but I would doubt it. If you were a bit high beforehand then I would just be bolusing for a correction, nothing more.

I have done quite a lot of work with my low-carb meals recently! I find that generally, for a main-size lunchtime salad I need 1-2 units to cover it. If I have fruit or something with it I'll need 3. That is when I am at work, and using a lot of energy. I do find, that if I'm sitting around on my bum I might need more and, as has been said, if my sugar levels are out of range before I might tweak up or down a unit or 2.

However, I would say that it's what works best for you. You need to maybe eat a salad and say take one unit. If you're high later on, then next time you eat a salad take a unit or 2 more, depending on how high you were after the previous salad. But I quite often find that even if I am a little higher after an couple of hours, by my next meal I'm back within range because of the lack of carbs keeping the levels raised! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back