Safely disposing of used lancets question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezzz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I wondered what is the safest way of disposing of used lancets?

I don't want them to poke out of a bin liner. Do I need to get a special container from somewhere?

Regards,

Tez.

There is a thread somewhere about sharps bins. You need to see your local pharmacists or your GP. Sometimes you can getthem from your GP and sometimes from local pharmacist on prescription. You then take the thing when it is full back to where you got it from or the local council takes it by prior arrangement.

Some people cut the sharp bit off and dispose of them in a different way. I'm sure you'll have lots of answers before long.

You should get a sharps bin from either your council or PCT - might be worthsearching the forum for 'sharps' there have been a couple of threads about them with all sorts of different experience!

Ed: Pah! Caroline beat me to it! 😉

Can you put the cap back on after using each lancet? Note that resheathing is ONLY for your own lancets, not if they have been used by anyone else - get them to do their own.

Until you work out what your local medical waste situation is (you'll have to contact your local council), you can store used lancets in a plastic tub, ideally one with a child-proof top eg bleach or medicine container.

There is a lot of debate about how often to change lancets (and needles) and how to dispose of them (although options depend on local waste policies) - use the search facility to find other threads.

Clipping ends with a BD Safe Clip works for needles, but not lancets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back