Safe number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm finding that before bed if I have a reading as high as 12 with a slowly falling arrow around 3hrs later its dropping into the 5s,4s, because I don't want to be woken I find myself having a snack or something an hour or so before bed to up my numbers, should I be doing that or taking less insulin with my evening meal, if it's normal practice to sometimes do that what is the best snack to have.
Thanks again.

What time are you eating your evening meal? What time are you around 12? What time do you start dropping @Charl ?

Had evening meal around 8.30
Around 11.45 reading 12
Around 2.30 4.9

Ideally eating your evening meal earlier would help so that your bolus insulin from the evening meal was more or less finished acting before bed and then you would have a clearer view of what the problems is and therefore the solution.

Which bolus and basal insulins do you use? It might be more relevant to reduce your basal (depending on the one you use) as that is a big drop from 12 to 4.9 and more than 3 hours after your evening meal, the majority of your bolus insulin should be spent, so it may be a combination of your remaining bolus bringing you down plus a bit too much basal during the night.

Had evening meal around 8.30
Around 11.45 reading 12
Around 2.30 4.9

As @rebrascora says, it would be easier to eat a little earlier. It makes things so much simpler to monitor and there’s no fear about having too much bolus active and dropping whilst asleep. I generally try to eat around 6pm. I find 6.30pm ok, but anything roughly after 7pm becomes harder and more stressful. Also, it’s easier to be active after an evening meal if you eat it earlier.

My first thought is how far in advance of your meal are you bolusing? That can help stop any spike. When do you take your basal insulin and what insulin is it? That could be affecting your drop too.

Basal is tresiba
Bolus novorapid
Basal was reduced by 1 unit couple of weeks ago to sort out high readings on morning which is OK for now, usually take bolus 15mins before eating, was 30 before put found bloods dropping before meal.
Thanks

Basal was reduced by 1 unit couple of weeks ago to sort out high readings on morning which is OK for now,
Not sure this makes sense. Do you mean Tresiba was increased to deal with highs in the morning rather than reduced?

You can deal with the morning highs by injecting some NR as soon as you wake up. If it was an increase (rather than decrease) in Tresiba then that may well be causing the night time drop as a knock on effect and it is more important to prevent a nocturnal hypo than a morning high, so might be worth reducing it again and trying to tackle the morning rise with NovoRapid. I intect 1.5-2 units of Fiasp (a faster form of NovoRapid) as soon as I wake up (and always before I get out of bed) to counteract that morning rise. I adjust it depending upon my waking reading. If I am in the 4s I just need 1.5units, if I am in the 6s then 2 units plus my bolus for breakfast.... all goes in at once. This may be too much for you so start with just a very small amount and see how it works for you if you decide to try that approach.

Basal is tresiba
Bolus novorapid
Basal was reduced by 1 unit couple of weeks ago to sort out high readings on morning which is OK for now, usually take bolus 15mins before eating, was 30 before put found bloods dropping before meal.
Thanks

If you meant your Tresiba was increased rather than decreased, that could be part of the cause. 15 minutes is a reasonable bolus time. If you feel happy/safe to do so, you could see if 20 minutes helps at all.

When I went to see my DB.nurse I mentioned that was having to eat something around 5.00pm as my readings were usually low and my evening , meal was some time away, she suggested reducing my basal by 1 unit to see if it made a difference which it has, I have also reduced my insulin for lunch.

Ok, well I’d eat your evening meal earlier. That way you’ll be awake when you drop and can work out what’s going on, and find a bedtime snack amount/time that works for you. On injections, I tried to be a minimum of 8 before bed, but it depends on the individual. Have an easily calculated snack and increase if necessary.

For evening meal.im 1 unit...10g carbs, if I try 1..20g would that make a difference. Thanks

For evening meal.im 1 unit...10g carbs, if I try 1..20g would that make a difference. Thanks

You shouldn’t jump from 1:10g to 1:20g. You could try something in between, like 1:15, 1:12, 1:16 or whatever. But really I think the problem is the timing of your evening meal. It’s also possible your Tresiba dose is wrong or that you need a more flexible twice daily basal.

Good God - HALVING the amount of insulin for dinner in one fell swoop is more than a bit too drastic in my book ! If I did that I'd then be high as a kite.

I've just a week or so ago increased my dinner Novorapid from 1u per 10g carbs, to 1u per 9g carbs - and that's the sort of amounts you should be looking at - so in your case with a reduction, you should be looking at 1u per 11g or 12g carb first and try that for 2 or 3 evenings and see what that produces. If its evident you need even less, again try a little bit less.

We do all have to treat ourselves a bit like human lab rats and carry out these experiments on ourselves - except not being expendable animals - changes are only introduced gradually.

Regarding eating evening meal earlier its not always possible due to work, last night I took 2 units less of insulin before tea at 7pm, went to bed at 10.30 on a reading of 10.9, checked at 12.30 and it had dropped to 6.7, this morning I have taken 1 unit less of tresiba , see if that makes a difference. Thanks

@Charl, I'm not the best person to be butting in here - you are getting great advice elsewhere.

Can I just ask about your Tresiba regime, which I do know a bit about? Are you aware that Tresiba has a very lengthy profile and last around 40 hours in your body? This means today's Tresiba dose is topping up yesterday and it also means that when you change your once a day top up it can take up to 3 days to have an effect. But that doesn't mean you can't change the dose again ever - only wait 4 or better 5 days then tweak your dose down again and monitor.

With Tresiba you do not need to take your daily dose at exactly the same time; I take my 9 units each morning and that can be at 0630 or (today) at 1030 after a sleep in. That is one of the attractions to me of Tresiba.

The other attraction is that I deliberately try to optimise my Tresiba to keep me safe, stable and relatively level through the night and until I "break fast". This does mean it is best that I take my evening bolus sufficiently early that it has dissipated before I go to sleep, knowing that whatever level I am at is where I will roughly be in the morning. However, if as I go to sleep and my evening bolus is fully lapsed but I'm still higher than I want to be, I will take a modest bolus correction to allow that extra bolus to steadily bring me down during the night. The trick is to not overdo that and my CGM graph clearly shows that happening, which has the side benefit of confirming my correction ratio for bolus is right.

But the main point in this ramble by me is that I know that my basal insulin is solely for managing my BG apart from food, exercise or corrections. Our bodies are constantly receiving glucose from liver store releases and other hormonal activities, such as adrenaline and cortisol; this isn't a constant even trickle over a 24 hr period, but this glucose comes in bits and bobs across the 24 hrs and daytime releases can be very different to nighttime. So by optimising for night I know my bolus must pick up any differential for day glucose release and while that might seem more difficult for me it really isn't. I use my bolus to regulate through the day - usually by a little exercise or activity if I'm unexpectedly creeping up or underbolusing at mealtimes if I'm a bit lower than I want to be. This does need a slightly different mindset: some people use their basal (particularly those on twice daily basal) as an extra helper with BG management. I don't, because I know that my Tresiba is on its fixed path and takes time to feel a change. So bolus or exercise are my corrector and bolus ratios might be scaled down on days where I'm very busy or active and sometimes into the following day.

Around an hour before evening meal my readings are around 7..8 last insulin was over 6 hrs ago, how long before evening meal should I be taking my insulin, have tried between 15 and 30 mins but after eating usually drop to between 4.5 and 5.5 where I'm taking glucose tablets to stop it dropping further before evening meal is absorbed. cheers

It depends on the meal but try just 5 mins or even just as you eat. If it is fatty then it will take longer to absorb. If my levels are dropping as I start to eat, I eat some of the quicker acting carbs on the plate first, so something like mashed potato will release quicker than the meat and veg. I need to wait much longer at breakfast time (usually 45mins) and sometimes I get distracted and lose track of time and my alarm goes off at 4.2 with a vertical downward arrow, so I pop a jelly baby in my mouth and chew it well and then eat my breakfast and that will turn it around for me, even with an otherwise low carb breakfast of yoghurt and berries. Libre might say I have dropped to 3.8 but usually when it readjusts itself there is no red on my graph and it was the algorithm over predicting. I have a very fast digestive system and pretty slow insulin absorption, so what works for me may not work for you. We are all different, so you have to experiment and figure out what works for you as an individual. I would try 10 mins before, 5 mins before and right before you eat and see which of those scenarios works best to balance things and prevent a low but also prevent things spiking too high afterwards.

Around an hour before evening meal my readings are around 7..8 last insulin was over 6 hrs ago, how long before evening meal should I be taking my insulin, have tried between 15 and 30 mins but after eating usually drop to between 4.5 and 5.5 where I'm taking glucose tablets to stop it dropping further before evening meal is absorbed. cheers
Hello @Charl,
I agree with @rebrascora - trial and learning is now becoming essential for you.

There are at least 3 different main things going on here: the actual bolus insulin dose could be too great; the timing too long (as youqsuggest); and background activity from the day, or even carried over from a previous day. Before trying to investigate your bolus ratio or your pre- bolus timing, I'd like to ask a little more about your exercise and activity.

Since my surgery and the consequent declaration that I was insulin dependent, I have tried to return to a normal life and this has meant almost NOT having a fixed routine. Retirement allow me to pick and choose what I do on any one day. Very occasionally I might be very sedentary, usually I'm busy with mildly energetic jobs, more recently very energetic as we've packed and moved house and still busy with unpacking and reorganising; and just sometimes I'm relentlessly busy from early to late. At age 74 I tend to always stay in the range of aerobic exercise and activity, no longer willing to sprint for a bus or try for 4 (nor 8) minute mile runs!

But the amount of exercise and activity that I do can have a considerable difference on the behaviour of my BG and this is not easy to translate into a predictable formula - in the way that we convert carbs into potential glucose for insulin dosing. It's not helped my lack of variability of what I do daily, nor the carry over of activity response from a previous day. So you could have your insulin to carb ratios spot on for any one meal and your pre-bolus timing close enough but still get irregular BG responses. This needs awareness on your part of the principles and lots of trial and learning (rather than error!) in helping you judge what adjustments are needed to timings and insulin dosing.

Also, we all have a natural level of insulin resistance and I find my insulin resistance varies depending on the time of day and my level of BG at the time I take a bolus dose. So if I'm planning to eat my evening meal early, say 5.30pm the prebolus time needs to be a bit shorter than if I'm targeting dinner at 8pm; others can find this to be the other way round - hence trial and learning. Also, if my BG is highish as I prebolus, I not only need to include a correction component of bolus insulin but to allow longer for the prebolus to take effect - so 15 mins prebolus can become 30 or 40 mins; we can all be different - trial and learning. If its latish and I'm high I might add a greater correction and keep a more reasonable 15+ mins prebolus - letting the extra correction provide a substitute response, so that I'm not very delayed before I eat. All of these things are influenced by my need to consider others, since I don't live alone.

So with that background awareness I would be trying to establish if your day's activity has already set you up for reduced insulin resistance and therefore not needing much prebolus time or even needing as much insulin.

Once you get that response of dropping towards 4.5 and feeling you need to take some extra precautionary glucose I'd want to know if the extra carbs are causing you to end up higher than planned about 4 to 5 hrs later. If they are, then I would suspect that your basic insulin to carb ratio is too strong for that particular time of day as well as tweaking (shortening) the prebolus time. This is the challenge: we all respond a bit differently and we each have to explore and learn what is best for us.

A 4th thing that is extremely important is repetitiveness. If this occurs 3 days in a row, with roughly the same sort of daily activity and similar(ish) meals then it is more than reasonable to try to learn a lesson and make adjustments. But even with similar daily activity levels but quite different sorts of meals, it is really challenging to conclude much from that day's response.

A 5th thing is what sort of carbs are you taking when you are at at 4.5 and perhaps trending down? I would be eating a plain biscuit, or something fairly low GI and definitely not be taking dextrose, JBs or lucozade. For me this needs a "nudge" but not a big or fast response.

And a 6th thing would be to finger prick and confirm actual BG. When my CGM is showing low readings I need to verify that. Interstitial readings from CGM not only lag actual BG, but the algorithms (complex maths) built into the software get confused and become less reliable when near 4 or near 10. They can mislead on timings of responses. There are definite limitations to CGM data; however good and helpful the tech can be it IS NOT perfect. It would be prohibitively unaffordable and still would not be perfect for every indidual.

The good news, actually the very best news, is that just by virtue of your asking this question you are aware of responses and fluctuations and making your best efforts to deal with these fluctuations. From here on there is inevitably lots of refining techniques to learn

True hypo is actually 3.5mmol/L; we are told 4.0 rightly to build in some safety margin. Even at 3.5 such a hypo can be quite mild. I'm NOT encouraging you to work to such a fine margin, just suggesting that 4.5 trending down may not be as drastic as you think it might be. Your body's metabolic responses to carbs is actually a bit different at 3.5 than at 4.5. If you really are 3.5 or very close then your response needs to be "undiluted" high glucose, AND WAIT. If you take some dextrose then immediately start your meal you blunt the effect of that dextrose and your body is unable to speedily bring you away from 3.5 for possibly 2 hours and this plays havoc with your personal confidence as well as messing up your day or evening. But dextrose or similar at 4.5 followed quickly by other food is merely a mixed meal with a total carb intake, influenced by the high GI content which changes the metabolic processes, a bit.

The other really good news is that you are finding ways that YOU keep yourself SAFE. In my opinion, there is no perfect or ideal technique for D management and trying to get that perfection is relentless and very draining. I have increasingly accepted that provided I can keep my CGM daily graph more or less in range [4-10] then I'm not going to stress myself chasing a flat line at an average of anything! At my age I want to stay safe but not at any price. Whatever bits of damage that might occur because of BG issues they are now not so likely to cause problems as other age related problems - which can occur regardless of my diabetes. I worry for my 21yr old great niece, far more than for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back