rye bread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammy1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
as im trying to cut back on carbs and miss bread havnt had bread for over a week somebody mentioned rye breadas an alternative has anybody tried it and any other options to have as a side to have with my fish which i seem to be living on thanks

as im trying to cut back on carbs and miss bread havnt had bread for over a week somebody mentioned rye breadas an alternative has anybody tried it and any other options to have as a side to have with my fish which i seem to be living on thanks
I think Rye bread is probably the same amount of carbs as wheat breads but some people tolerate them better. The only way you would know is to test with a blood glucose monitor after you have had it.
There are some lower carb breads around in the supermarkets if you search, sometimes it is because the slice is smaller or has seeds in.
Plenty of other options other than fish but you can have plenty of veg or salad, coleslaw, mashed celeriac, swede or butternut squash all lower carb than potatoes.

thanks sorry to be a nuisance withh all these questions im asking but i just got a shock with my last bloods at docs so im determened to sort it but thanks for all the comments and advice

In general, although nothing is totally predictable with D, rye bread should be a dairy [fair not dairy!] bit slower in digestion because it contains a fair bit more fibre. That fibre helps to provide some coating within one's colon and so while you still get the same amount of carbs converting to glucose the slowing down helps reduce the "spikiness" or smooths out some glycaemic variability of your glucose release. As a T2 that should be helpful.

Last edited:
Why have you cut out bread? It's low carbs not no carbs. I still have two slices of wholemeal bread a day. It works for me but we are all different. Guide lines say 130g of carbs a day. Hope this helps

Why have you cut out bread? It's low carbs not no carbs. I still have two slices of wholemeal bread a day. It works for me but we are all different. Guide lines say 130g of carbs a day. Hope this helps
2 slices of wholemeal bread a day is quite a lot for someone on a low carb diet and many people can't get away with that many carbs if they are not on medication. I believe you are using Gliclazide which is quite a powerful type 2 medication, so that may give you more dietary wriggle room.

130g carbs a day is the top end of low carb but some people can only get away with 20 or 30g carbs a day, some 50 - 60g carbs and some 70-100g. We are all different and only a BG meter will show you what your particular body can cope with. Some people react particularly strongly to the carbs in bread, but may be better with rice or potatoes. Personally I try to aim for about 70g carbs a day and my BG levels react quite strongly to bread, even wholemeal, so I just don't bother. I prefer to have my carbs in the form of tomatoes and onions and peppers and beetroot and a few berries or half an apple and yoghurt etc and perhaps the odd square of dark 70% chocolate. I used to love bread but I am so over that now and it just sends my BG into orbit and it sets me away craving more carbs, so sometimes cutting it out altogether isn't a bad idea. It is also an ultra processed food if you are concerned about clean eating.

What guidelines?
That figure is totally anrbitrary and irrelevant.

Rye bread is fairly gentle on my BGs.

Seedy breads are my usual go-to (the seedier the better).

And I’ve recently learned that freezing and thawing bread can help as some of the carbohydrate becomes resistant starch.

As with all things - the only way to know for sure how your body responds is to check with a BG meter.

Some on the forum have a much more difficult time with bread than others.

Last edited:
A possible distraction in respect of rye bread, but freezing and defrosting can bring about the digestion of former indigestible fibres, bringing those fibres to supplement the glucose that ultimately gets into our BG. I guess it's another reason against processing food, akin to blending fruit or veg unto smoothies. Just worth staying alert to this consequence, I think.

The DUK site suggests that as no more than 130g is amount of carbs for those following a low carb approach

What's this figure based on?
How did they arrive at it? Where's the research?
40g of carbs per meal will send most people with T2D high and possibly for a long period of time, and may not come down before their next meal. I know for a fact that it wouldn't do me much good.

I doubt that freshwell site you always link is anywhere near 130g of carbs a day, it's as low carb as the stuff suggested by Dr Unwin (And they reference the Caldesi books, which are generally less than 20g of carbs per meal, and many of them less than 10g.)

What's this figure based on?
How did they arrive at it? Where's the research?
40g of carbs per meal will send most people with T2D high and possibly for a long period of time, and may not come down before their next meal. I know for a fact that it wouldn't do me much good.

I doubt that freshwell site you always link is anywhere near 130g of carbs a day, it's as low carb as the stuff suggested by Dr Unwin (And they reference the Caldesi books, which are generally less than 20g of carbs per meal, and many of them less than 10g.)
Perhaps you should ask whoever wrote the section on the DUK site to justify their suggestion.
I agree that 130g is likely too much but for many it is a vast improvement on their previous diet.

What guidelines?
That figure is totally anrbitrary and irrelevant.
Perhaps it is - however, it is the recommended amount quoted by many organisations working with diabetics.
With the other advice, given by many HCPs of not testing blood glucose, it could be problematic for a fair number of people, but it is so firmly fixed into the system I doubt that it will be changed at any point in the near future.

If you have a Polish grocers nearby you might find a low carb protein bread there. It is black bread, and expensive but I like it with kippers.
There are Lidl 'low carb' rolls around at the moment, not as low carb as the ones available previously, but OK - again it is a black bread.
I made various low carb breads at home having looked up recipes and ingredients on line. I tried a bread maker but it was too rough with the dough and although it rose, the second kneading knocked out all the puff and it never recovered. A stand mixer seems to be the way to go. I make an ordinary dough and allow it to rise, then add in all sorts of low carb ingredients. I have experimented with mixing the low carb stuff together, then swapping to a dough hook and adding liquid to the bowl, and then slicing up the actual bread dough and mixing it in gently. Once well mixed I roll or lightly press out the dough into a thick rectangle and roll it up swill roll style before putting it into the tin to rise again. This time of year it can take all night to regain enough volume to bake it.

2 slices of wholemeal bread a day is quite a lot for someone on a low carb diet and many people can't get away with that many carbs if they are not on medication. I believe you are using Gliclazide which is quite a powerful type 2 medication, so that may give you more dietary wriggle room.

130g carbs a day is the top end of low carb but some people can only get away with 20 or 30g carbs a day, some 50 - 60g carbs and some 70-100g. We are all different and only a BG meter will show you what your particular body can cope with. Some people react particularly strongly to the carbs in bread, but may be better with rice or potatoes. Personally I try to aim for about 70g carbs a day and my BG levels react quite strongly to bread, even wholemeal, so I just don't bother. I prefer to have my carbs in the form of tomatoes and onions and peppers and beetroot and a few berries or half an apple and yoghurt etc and perhaps the odd square of dark 70% chocolate. I used to love bread but I am so over that now and it just sends my BG into orbit and it sets me away craving more carbs, so sometimes cutting it out altogether isn't a bad idea. It is also an ultra processed food if you are concerned about clean eating.
Yes I am on glicazide and metformin as a Type 2 diabetic. I'm not saying I eat 130g a day, that was the guideline in my low carb book I just bought. I appreciate that everyone is different. I can't eat onions, tomatoes and garlic and lots of other things due to IBS. It's all trial and error. My biggest problem is getting stressed about what to eat that it's affecting my anxiety and Depression but that's life as they say

Yes I am on glicazide and metformin as a Type 2 diabetic. I'm not saying I eat 130g a day, that was the guideline in my low carb book I just bought. I appreciate that everyone is different. I can't eat onions, tomatoes and garlic and lots of other things due to IBS. It's all trial and error. My biggest problem is getting stressed about what to eat that it's affecting my anxiety and Depression but that's life as they say
A good starting point is to look at what you can eat that doesn't upset your IBS and see if there are any tweaks you can make to reduce the carb content, nobody need to eat foods they don't like or which doesn't suit their digestive system.

A good starting point is to look at what you can eat that doesn't upset your IBS and see if there are any tweaks you can make to reduce the carb content, nobody need to eat foods they don't like or which doesn't suit their digestive system.
I totally agree. Everyone is different. I have had so much advice over the years, I have to find my own way now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back