Status
Not open for further replies.

KT85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hiya

I'm newly diagnosed and I haven't yet seen the diabetic nurse.l, and I don't know what the treatment plan will be, So I'm asking here until I do.

I'm a runner, I do a parkrun every Saturday and I've done a couple of 10k's. I've never noticed a problem before when I run and when I do a 5k I run on an empty stomach. (I don't want to be sick or get ingestion)

My question is what should I be doing before and after a run. (I've ordered a blood monitor so I can start checking before and after but as yet I haven't got one)

Thanks x

Carry on with your park run as before. Use the time before your appointment with the nurse to understand what Type 2 diabetes is and set yourself a target.

I started by downloading the Kindle version of Professor Roy Taylor's 'Life without diabetes'. A few minutes after skimming through it I wrote down my targets.

1. Avoid the side effects of Metformin, as prescribed, and other medications.
2. Lose 22 kg on a real food diet.
3. Get back into the 32 inch trousers I last wore years ago.

My HbA1c was 104. It came down to 39 in three months.

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of good advice from experience here. Good luck.

These links may help:
- Zoe Harcombe, What should we eat? how to lose and maintain weight eating nutritious food to satiety
- Dr David Unwin, diet sheet: easy to follow nutritious food diet
- Dr David Oliver, Freshwell GP: Introduction to Prediabetes and T2D: great content and graphics
- Roy Taylor, Achieving T2D remission (May 2023): all you need to know about T2D remission (to HbAic<42, normal)
- Roy Taylor, Information for Doctors: what GPs and DNs should know about T2D remission (to HbAic<42, normal)
- Newcastle Diet, leaflet: basis for NHS Path to Remission Soups & Shakes programme

I followed my own real food version of the Newcastle Diet, using the free Cronometer app to track nutrition.
If I were to lose weight again I'd follow Harcombe Diet principles (less demanding than Newcastle).

Last edited:
Hiya

I'm newly diagnosed and I haven't yet seen the diabetic nurse.l, and I don't know what the treatment plan will be, So I'm asking here until I do.

I'm a runner, I do a parkrun every Saturday and I've done a couple of 10k's. I've never noticed a problem before when I run and when I do a 5k I run on an empty stomach. (I don't want to be sick or get ingestion)

My question is what should I be doing before and after a run. (I've ordered a blood monitor so I can start checking before and after but as yet I haven't got one)

Thanks x
I’m recently diagnosed and also a runner (a slow one!). I have switched to a low carb diet and haven’t changed what I did before - my Saturday run is 8.30 and I eat afterwards, my Wed run is 9.30 so I prefer to eat breakfast at 7.30am to give me a couple of hours digestion time. What has changed is my breakfast - from cereals to either eggs or yoghurt and fruit. I am keeping count of everything I eat on an app - I use Nutracheck but there are others - I’m aiming for less than 130g carbs per day - the same aim whether or not it’s a running day. I haven’t really noticed any difference with my running - I am losing weight so hope this might speed me up a bit!
The only exception was when I went on a 10 mile quite strenuous walk and felt quite ill afterwards as I don’t think I had had enough to eat - I had a little more in the evening that day but I think I was still within the 130g.
I have recently started taking metformin but still building up the dose. I’ve decided at the moment not to do any finger pricking as I don’t want to rule any foods out completely and feel as long as I’m controlling what I eat each day, that should start to give me results - but others do find this useful.

My question is what should I be doing before and after a run.
Unless you start certain medications then nothing special, just put your trainers on and go. The exercise will be good for you.

Did you manage to get out on the Parkrun yesterday @KT85 ? How did it go?

Hopefully you’ll be able to continue to incorporate running into your weekly rhythm. Aerobic exercise can improve insulin sensitivity for 24-48 hours after the activity itself, so it can be a helpful addition to your glucose-management efforts 🙂

Bear in mind you may see a rise in BG during or immediately after exercising. This is not unusual.
The great thing is that it improves insulin sensitivity for the next 24 to 48 hours.

Did you manage to get out on the Parkrun yesterday @KT85 ? How did it go?

Hopefully you’ll be able to continue to incorporate running into your weekly rhythm. Aerobic exercise can improve insulin sensitivity for 24-48 hours after the activity itself, so it can be a helpful addition to your glucose-management efforts 🙂
It was difficult actually but I still completed it so it was good, I think I was thinking about my blood sugars. So couldn't enjoy it properly. I don't feel like my sugars are low when I run, but that's before I got diagnosed so who knows.

I do run every week and some times during the week so I should definitely be able to incorporate it

So couldn't enjoy it properly. I don't feel like my sugars are low when I run, but that's before I got diagnosed so who knows.
Just to be clear, diabetes makes your BG high not low. It is certain diabetes medications (insulin or Gliclazide) which can cause your levels to drop too low, so if you are not yet on any medication then you don't need to worry about your BG going low. It is a misunderstanding many people have about diabetes, because they hear about hypos, but it is too much of the "strong" diabetes medication which causes them. Diabetes causes levels to be too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back