Running up to P day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urbansoulpie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All

So I've finally managed to get the consultant to order a pump for me!
So happy!

I'm running up to getting the pump, currently doing a diary noting down all my exercise, carbs/food, insulin, bs results etc for my next dsn appointment.

Not really sure what happens from now on.....can anyone help me out in what to expect running up to getting the pump?

Lots of education I'm guessing.

I'm exciting about getting it but also a bit anxious about all the mind boggling new stuff I'll have to get my head round...basal...bolus....reservoirs....bubbles.....infusion sets....carrying it round.....bends in tubes.....canulas....the list goes on....!!?!????!!

:confused:

Hi All

So I've finally managed to get the consultant to order a pump for me!
So happy!

I'm running up to getting the pump, currently doing a diary noting down all my exercise, carbs/food, insulin, bs results etc for my next dsn appointment.

Not really sure what happens from now on.....can anyone help me out in what to expect running up to getting the pump?

Lots of education I'm guessing.

I'm exciting about getting it but also a bit anxious about all the mind boggling new stuff I'll have to get my head round...basal...bolus....reservoirs....bubbles.....infusion sets....carrying it round.....bends in tubes.....canulas....the list goes on....!!?!????!!

:confused:

Order the book Pumping insulin by John Walsh from Amazon. 🙂

Hi Urban

Congrats on getting a pump! Do you know which one you will be getting? I started on a Medtronic Paradigm Veo just over a month ago so I'm still in the phase of sorting out the right basal and bolus doses. My DSN has given me great support through the first few weeks (I've seen her at least once every week the first few weeks and when things started going better we left it two weeks, then three weeks) and whenever a problem occurred I have always been able to contact her straight away.

I've had my share of cannula and pump problems in the short time I've been on the pump, and admittedly it's a bit scary when you notice something going wrong for the first time and you're not quite sure what to do. All I can say is that you figure out quite quickly what to do with a bit of help from someone on here or a phone call to your DSN! Thing really do become like clockwork after a little while though and you will soon know what to do yourself straight away 🙄

It took me only a few hours to forget I was even wearing my pump! Anyway, just expect to be playing around with the basal and bolus settings quite a bit the first few weeks and you might have to do a fasting basal test (where you fast and test your blood sugar every hour to tweak your basal rates to make them exactly right for your body's needs throughout the day) but my DSN didn't recommend that until you get the rates roughly right first.

The book Sue mentions definitely helps to understand everything better and puts your mind at ease a bit before the big day! Other than that, reading up on the topics on this forum might make you feel a bit more prepared as well.

Best of luck in your first few weeks, if you have any questions or just want a chat to put your mind at ease or anything, please feel free to send me a message! 🙂

Thank you Unicornz!

Your reply puts my mind at rest a bit.
It's exciting but scary at the same time.

After so many years of injections and knowing how it all works the pump seems complicated. But I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, like you said.

I'm sure I'll be back on here reading thought posts and asking questions as I'm learning.

I think I'm getting the same pump as you, I've only seen it once and it's not been confirmed which type it is.
Does it have a remote control with it and does it measure you blood glucose? I'm not expecting it too but I saw a promo video for it on youtube and it showed it as doing so.

Thanks!

I completely understand how you feel I felt exactly the same! It does all seem rather complicated after so many years of fairly straightforward injections, but the pump really is a lot easier than it looks 🙂 all you have to do is press the shortcut button, put in your blood sugar and how many carbs you've eaten (if any) and it suggests how much insulin you should be taking. Then you just click okay and that's it!

The Veo doesn't have a remote control, so maybe you're getting a different one 🙂 it CAN however be attached to a Continuous Glucose Monitor that measures your BG and helps your pump work more like a bionic pancreas 😛 Not everyone can get this though because the NHS aren't likely to fund it unless you have serious hypo unawareness, so for now it will just be testing like normal!

Don't worry about it though, you should be able to manage your levels fine without the glucose monitor!

Hiya

It sounds like the Accu-chek pump with the handset which is a glucometer as well.

The Medtronic does have a remote but we have never used it. It is a very basic remote with no screen and just does a bolus so a bit scary. The Accu-chek handset is brilliant, I saw one working for the first time this weekend, marvellous little thing.

However I would never ever swap the Medtronic due to the sensors. Animas' Vibe is out this May though allegedly and that has the integrated Dexcom sensors Oooooooo how exciting. Am dying to find out the price they will sell their sensors for.

Anyway Urban soul, do not fret, this is very exciting. You do however need to realise it is like starting over, it is different to MDI. The best bit of advice I was ever given is to trust your pump. I didn't know what that meant until I trusted it. It is weird and you will fall in love, eventually, with your electronic pancreas very much. It is part of you and you will look after it and wonder what you did before.

However the journey you will take to get to that point may be hard, it is for some and isn't for others. Some want to through their pump out the window, don't and persevere. There are enough on here who can support you and answer your questions.

Good luck and how exciting.

🙂

Thank you so much for your help and advice!

I'll have to remember that there are and have been many, many times I would quite happily throw my insulin pens out of the window, so will expect to feel the same with the pump.

I have an appointment tomorrow with my DSN so will hopefully clarify which pump I am getting. I am so grateful to have one on it's way, I'll be glad of any they give me!

I think the new tube-less pumps look fantastic! But I guess they are a long time off general use in the UK.
http://www.solo4you.com/

No not at all. The Omipod can be got here now but very hard to get as so expensive compare to other pumps already used. The Cell Novo will be licensed soon and I've seen that and it is awesome. The only reason for me not to be more interested is they don't have the CGM capability yet.

The Cell Novo is truely amazing, really it is and the CGM technology is there but not ready yet but it will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back